Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Geezerman, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well, my band has been practcing for a few weeks now. Besides the occasional guitar ego, it's been great. The core group has contained drummer, me, guitarist A, and guitarist B, now we usually have a third guitarist playing with us, 3 or 4 guys around here who like it play. Last week we had a bad practice which ended in me, the drummer and guitarist A playing songs, we thought we sounded great and all agreed we had a good "connection". Everything was all good until today, they brought another bassist to practice. I played 3 or 4 songs, and left. I listened to the sit in guy, and i'm not too worried, he has some creative fills, but he is the opposite of me. He worries so much about fills, and flash that he usually messes up the timing, or it just sounds to busy. Me, well I serve the song, and will throw in a fill here or there when a song needs to be spiced up. I'm a young guy at 17, and wonder if I should compete for a spot in the band, or I could just look around the chicago metal scene for another one. This guy might just be a one-time jam session, but I'm not sure, what to do?
  2. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    ***Me, well I serve the song, and will throw in a fill here or there when a song needs to be spiced up.***

In the long run, this will get you way more work and respect.
  3. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    If it's a band, what are they doing bringing another bassist to practice? I could see if it's just a jam session, but if it's a band practice, that doesn't make sense? :confused:
  4. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for both the replys.

It seemed odd to me they would bring someone else in, wednesday If he is there again, I am going to ask them why. I'd rather get an answer and be able to find a new band, then to sit around second guessing myself as a musician.
  5. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well the last few practices have been okay, but I have a feeling they'll pull this stuff again, So I have written up an band wanted ad just in case, heh.

"Bassist looking for a metal band, must have practice space and gig-able gear. Favorite bands/ Influences are Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera , Iron Maiden, Old Metallica, ect.
    I am a 17 year old player looking to play covers or write some original stuff, I am very interested in gigging.
    e-mail: (***) ***-**** ask for Jeff

*Hardcore/Screamcore bands need not apply.*"

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep. You can wank away all you want in the middle of songs, but if it isn't "for the song", you end up looking and sounding like a dork.

You need to do what the song needs. If there is space for fills, do em. I am all for that. And sometimes I catch myself getting a bit too busy in songs (especially since switching to 6ers), but I try not to make a habit of it.