Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kake_eater, Sep 3, 2001.

1. kake_eater

kake_eater Guest

Jun 26, 2001
    over there
    i have a 4 string johnson bass. i bought darco .045 o .105 strings and i cant get the damn thing on. i broke the low e and it started out with the strings with the red felt stuff at each end. when i got the darco strings there just plain old crap. plzz someone help can i replace it!!
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My first stupid question is: Are you trying to put the correct gauge string in the low-E position? Strings are arranged with the lightest string on the bottom, heaviest on top (as you're holding the bass in a playing position).

Do you cut your string ends first? I usually leave about 4 inches of string on the ends, measured from the post that they will be wound around. I leave about 5 inches on the A string to avoid buzzing. Bend the wire at a 90-degree angle and cut it after the bend (between the very end of the string and your newly formed bend) so the string is less likely to unravel.

Are you winding the strings the right way? Assuming that your bass has a four-in-line headstock, the string should wrap around the underside of it's perspective post and should wind from the top down (so the upper windings on the post are putting downward pressure on the string, holding it in it's nut slot). Make sure the windings are stacked one on top of the other, not tangled and twisted like the line in my weed-whacker. :D

Lastly, until you get more experienced with this, get just enough tension on the string to keep it in place and then get a tuner on that thing! Make sure that the anchors are seated properly in the bridge as you tighten them. Good luck!