1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacements actives For my G&L L2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Bassman62, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I've just fitted one of this companys kits to my G&L L2500
    http://www.east-uk.com/
    It has transformed the Bass

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I'm not mistaken, Gil Escalera, the US East pre "connection", has an L2000 (or possibly L2500) that he installed an East U-Retro in. The J-Retro I used to have was the best sounding onboard active module I have tried yet- I'm sure your L2500 is smokin with that thing!

Did you wire it with a full-on passive mode as well? My only reservation with the J-Retro was the lack of controls in the passive mode.

Karl

3. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Which kit did you install?

4. U-Retro 01 with then floating leads. Ordered Friday; arrived 12.00 noon Monday.

5. I wired it as per instructions with the exception that John East sent instructions regarding using the existing Series/Parallel switch which when I fitted this same kit on my L2500 Tribute I disgarded replacing it with a Blue LED that came on when I plugged my lead/cord in.
    This is the 3rd J-Retro kit I've used, I fitted one to my 1965 Fender Jazz Bass with amazing results.

6. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Replacing the preamp is the best thing that anyone can do with one of these basses, IMHO. I've owned one L2000 Tribute and I'm on my second L2500 Tribute. The previous owner replaced the stock preamp with an Audere 3ZB and it made all the difference!

I'm in the process of installing a switching scheme that will allow independent series/parallel/outer coil/inner coil switching for each pickup, as well as the Z-mode switch. :hyper: