Replacements for Cort Curbow Fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eloiam, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Eloiam

Jun 26, 2000
    Hey all...

I just picked up a Cort Curbow F5, and am honestly very happy with it. I am, however seriously thinking about replacing the pickup in it. It does a fairly decent job, but I've yet to get the tone I hear acoustically through the pickups. I've tried it in a few different amplifiers, and even my Trace Elliot is hard pressed to recreate what I'm hearing. I got a little better results when I switched the stock strings to DR Nickel Lo-beams, but it's still not quite where I want to be. I know that the Cort Curbow 6 comes with Bartolini pickups, which I've heard nothing but good things about. My question is: How hard would it be to convert to them (or any other brand)? Does this consist of just a pickup switch, or would I have to change the electronics in the bass also. There are really no stores in my area who can handle a job like this ("If it ain't a Peavey, we can't help you."), so any perspective/experiences from out in the real world would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much!
  2. somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    Brasstown, NC
    It is best to replace the electronics and the pickup at the same time. Even the Cort pickups that say "Bartolini" on them are not USA made and a true Bart replacement is desirable. There are impedance issues with a USA Bart pu and the Cortec electronics so just replacing the pu is not as satisfying as you would like. The con is that to put the NTMB modules into the Cort Curbow body some minor routing is required. I would be glad to do this upgrade for you anytime.
    Doug Somervell
    Somervell Guitars:bassist:
  3. CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Not meaning to take business away from Doug, but you can also do this job yourself. Call Brian at Best Bass Gear. You can get true Bart soapbars from BBG to replace the Cort Curbow pups without any pickup cavity modification. I replaced the pups and electronics with the following and no exterior body modifications. Be sure to get electonics (I ordered mine pre-wired) with a longer jack barrel as you will need it on the body. I got mine with the stock shorter barrel and had to shave down some of the body at that point from inside the control cavity (something that can be done carefully with a knife as carving the body on the Cort Curbows is basically like carving plaster - but if you get a longer jack barrel, you probably won't have to modify at all)..

With reasonable care and the ability to follow basic instructions you should be able to do this upgrade yourself without any problems. And, if you have any questions, Brian is very helpful. I called a couple times to verify things before I jumped into the installation.

4. somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    Brasstown, NC
    No problems with DIY here. The pups should fit fine without any modifactions. The modules that Bartolini uses on their harnesses will not fit without interior mods. Nothing wrong with Aguliar electronics that's for sure, but if you want what many would recognize as an "original" Curbow sound I think the Barts would come closer to that.
    Note too that the Bartolini MK-5 or MK-4, depending on model, replace the Korean Bartolini MK-1. If you have an earlier Cort Curbow with the Mighty Mite PU you will need a Bartolini CF4 or CF5 or even maybe a CF6. In the custom catalog there is a CT shell pu that has a curved face that will replace these as well.

Wondering why you found it necessary to replace the barrel jack that was already in the bass?
  5. miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    somervell, He can just replace pups and leave the existing pre as is, right?
  6. somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    Brasstown, NC
    The pups made in Asia are active. The Bart replacements are not. There are some compatibility issues. I have never tried it so I am not certain how severe they are. It would be better to either do what CraigG suggests and get an Agular pre-wired harness to go with the new PU or have the Bartolini pre-amp installed like I do.
  7. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Did anyone notice that he asked the question eight years ago?
  8. somervell

Aug 13, 2005
    Brasstown, NC
    I am slow...what can I say.. :confused:the answers to the question are still relevant and the post is still up.thought I'd jump:hyper:in on it....:eek: