Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacements for Kingston 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 13, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I haven't been following this forum so much so I don't know if this has been discussed lately but anyways, I remember someone saying that for example MM-replacements would not fit on MTD Kingston 5's pickup routing?

I have been thinking about replacing the pup and electronics on my Kingston 5 with Bartolini or Basslines stuff, and seems like Basslines sells Stingray replacement sets with pup and 3-band eq in the same box. This would be my main choice, but if it requires extra routing the price could get nasty.

The thing with Bartolini is, while pre-amps are widely available, I have seen only so few pickups in stores in Europe.

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    MM replacements should fit in nicely. But beware, there are two kinds of them, MC and MV if I remember correctly. You need the one with 'screw ears'. See www.bartolini.net for pictures of the two.

I think the standard PU is quite ok, however it would be nice to try some Bartolini out. www.musik-produktiv.de does carry a wide selection of Barts.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

If I had a choice I would go with the Basslines. Im not sure if they'll fit. Somebody remind me too, I cant remember if they fit.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The Stingray 5 pickup is rectangular without ears. The Kingston pickup has ears like the Stingray 4, so it doesn't look like a drop-in replacement. I'm unaware of any replacement for the Kingston pup, except maybe the Carvin, if the dimensions are right.

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Here you go: http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/5st_bass_pu_s.htm

Scroll down to 5 string Music Man Stingray* pickups and there you have it. Or take a look at the Läklands. I don't know if anyone else besides Bartolini makes that shape.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang, I hadn't seen that one, TRU. That looks cool.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

But didnt Bartolini design the p-up in the Kingston/Heir line up??

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks for the link TRU, I visit Musik-Produktiv's webstore quite often, but diden't remember they had those Bartolini pups around.

Now, I have to wait til summer and when I get to know about my job situation, but it would seem Barts are, after all, better option.

Now all there is is to decide if I should buy the 2-band EQ with stacked treble/bass so there would be no extra drilling, or should I perhaps go 3-band where I would need to drill separate holes for two more pots. Then again, I need to get the fret ends filed down at luthier, so perhaps he could drill the holes while he's on it.

And then there's the pickup brightness question.. oh decisions, decisions :D

9. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    There is one other small problem. The Bart and Basslines MM pickups are designed to drop in an SR5. The SR 5 has narrower string spacing than the Kingston. I don't think either will cover. You'd have to get something custom wound for the wider spacing or get your hands on a lakland set.

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I've looked into it.. your two choices are

1: bartolini
    2: Custom Seymour Duncan.

I live in santa barabara, where the seymour duncan factory is, and i wanted a replacement for my carvin 5 string (w/ ears) and they said they're not allowed to sell the Lakland pickup to anybody except the lakand company. They would, however, re-wind my existing pickup to match their MM-replacement's specificatons. I forget how much he said it was going to cost, just over $100 i think though. The turnaround time was pretty long though, like 6 weeks i think.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

That site carries the DiMarzio X2N-B :eek:

I gotta' get one for a..."project" [​IMG]