1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacements for MECs in Warwick...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chubrocker, Dec 1, 2010.

1. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    After copper shielding everything on my Warwick (even under both bridge pieces), it still buzzes. It's better, but when recording direct the buzz is still every-present. <sigh> I love this bass, so prolly need to replace the pups. I've done some research and it appears Duncans are the way to go, but Barts look like a good option as well.

I'm just looking for some input from other TBers on pup replacement on a Warwick.

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    what kinda warwick?

3. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I love the Joe Bardens in my Thumb.

4. grounding issue? My warwick doesn't buzz at all.

5. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    2006 MiG Corvette Standard

Regarding grounding, that's why I shielded everything. Ground wire is under the bridge component that accepts the strings. Volume/Tone cavity is shielded. Pup routings are shielded.

6. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    The pre may be on the fritz. I had an MTD and a 2006 Thumb NT5 with the same deal. The MTD got new guts installed by Mike T and Dana B Goods (at that time) sent me a new pre for the Wick. Buzz gone. If the bass buzzes no matter where or what you plug it into then look into replacing the pre. The NT5 pre was interesting to wire up however it solved the problem.

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I assume you have the passive Corvette Standard with the Passive MEC Dynamic Correction pickups right? I had the same bass for many years and also experienced hum issues as well. Not all the time, varied from place to place, some worse than others. There were clubs where I was dead quiet; the ones with poor wiring, unusable at times. I don't believe the passive MECs are reverse wound, meaning that they do not cancel out the single coil hum when blended evenly. Great tone otherwise.

I think the Duncans are a good choice. Although I haven't tried them in my Warwicks they seem to get a lot of praise from other Warwick players. I ended up swapping out my passive MECs for EMG system. Sounded great but I felt it did change the inherent tone of the bass a bit which I expected it would. Not sure about the Barts, but I think they would impart much of their sound to the natural tone of the bass.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I put EMG's in a Fortress One and was quite happy with them

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Depends on what kinda sound you`re looking for but I`d go with EMG or Barts.

10. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    Correct.

This 'vette has a nice mid-range growl to it that like, so want to try to preserve its current tone as much as possible. Ideally, I just want the buzz to go away. The is buzz is there regardless of lighting, power, etc.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd try DiMarzio Area J's, which are noiseless single coils.

12. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    THANKS for all that provided input. Tonight at practice the bass was virtually quiet. I got a new ISO 5 power supply. I'm beginning to think the buzz is from my old power supply and not the pups on the bass. Between the shielding and new power supply, I think I solved my issue.

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I was going to say.....I like the MEC pickups....

14. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    My Streamer Stage 2 came with EMGs and it sounded great on direct recordings with no "real" preamp aside from the channel I plugged into on the board. I mean absolutely fantastic !

15. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    cool. 'wicks seem to be shielded really well out of the box, the only issue i have had in this regard was installing ghost saddles, and having to ground the tailpiece because of the graphite between the bridge and strings.

16. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wonderful! Glad you were able to solve the problem without modifying the bass. The power supply angle makes sense considering the buzz was there all the time.

17. chubrocker

chubrocker

May 6, 2006
    KCMO
    I need to get a better cable too, but I tried different cables and still had the initial buzz. I should have considered the power supply. The ISO 5 is solid!