Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing 40HZ with 40DC on Rebop5dlx

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mrdak, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    I spoke with PJ over at Spector today. He explained how the tone pump has the voltage doubler built in, and he said my 40DC's will hook up and work with the tone pump just fine. Even though he says they hook up just like the HZ's. I only have red and white coming from each pickup now. I know where red goes, but the white, which is the black and braided shield inside,,,,, does it just go straight to ground ? the pot? Thats the way I understand it, and I can't find any schematics on this specific two 40DC setup.
    Can someone please give me a couple tips here.

thanks ;) by the way, I searched and searched again, and didn't find this exactly...

2. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Do the braid and white center conductor go soldered together on the pot ?

3. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Red is to the battery and white should be kind of fat you peel back the fatter part and solder that to the pot bass and then you solder the smaller one through the middle post of the pot.

That's the way I wired my EMG J set anyway.

4. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    The Brad... you da Man, I was havin a hard time, and you're right. It is working now, except I got to figure why the front pickup is like way way louder than the back. It's much further away from the strings too, at the moment. I heard you're supposed to disconnect the ground, and I did. Would that have any Ill effect ? Im going to keep messing with it. That front pickup is like incredible sounding. Now to get both of em kickin.
    Edit ................. I tried hooking the ground up again.. No change at all....... ***.
    Thanks Brad

5. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    No problem man, I just installed them so it was fresh in my mind. Thought it could be of some benefit. Anyway, EMGs don't use grounding wires because they say if there is a surge of power or the current is reversed and sent through the bass if it's grounding there is a high probability that it would electrocute you?

As far as balance between the two pups volumes, all I can think of doing is playing with the pickup height, because EMGs are microphonic and need to be much closer to the strings than "normal" passive pickups. If you still have problems maybe the bridge one is a dude. I'd attempt to make contact with the company, I've heard some good things about their customer support but haven't dealt with them personally.

Best of luck.

6. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Yeah, you have a good point,,,, I remember the part about electrocution now too. I read that somewhere. I'm leaning toward that bridge being a dud or I may have a bad connection somewhere, Now that I understand how it's supposed to work, Im gonna swap em around and try a few things.
    I wonder if it makes a difference which way the pickup plug goes in. which direction. I plugged them in just like it looked on the EMG diagram. I don't know. I'm going to find out though bro. thanks again.

7. TheBrad

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    YES! that fast clip thing makes all the difference!
    When I originally installed mine the clip was facing the wrong way and so I wasn't getting any sound out of either, so just flip the clip around on the bridge and that should do the trick.

Totally forgot about that. :bag: