Replacing 5-String Fretless Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Sep 8, 2002.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I have a Warmoth 5-string fretless bass that I want to convert to a fretted bass. I was going to just get a new neck from Warmoth but I see that they have changed the design of the Deluxe 5-string necks. The Warmoth neck that I purchased approx. 8 years ago is 2.75" wide (at heel). Apparently Warmoth has gone to a 2.906 (at heel). I e-mailed Warmoth and asked if they could still make the old style but have not heard back from them. Does anyone know any other sources for a 34" scale bass neck with a 2.75" wide heel? Has anyone recently had a new fingerboard and fret job done on a neck recently? Cost? Recommend any luthier to perform this task? Does anyone have a Warmoth Deluxe 5-string fretted neck that they would be willing to trade for a fretless neck (excellent/mint condition;has a polymerized tung oil finish on lightly birds-eye neck w/lined ebony fingerboard)? There is an outside chance that the lined fingerboard could be fretted but I'm not sure how wide the fret tang slots are typically cut.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would bet a shiny new dime that Warmoth would be happy to make a copy of something they made, even 8 years ago. Try calling them on the phone -- sometimes email takes a little while to be answered. I do remember that they had a couple of different neck widths, and even if the 2.906 is now more popular and thus their "standard" offering, I'm sure they would still have the capability of making the 2.75 they once made. If you can dig out your old order number, that would make it even easier on them, and you'd be assured of getting the same neck dimensions.

Just looked at the Warmoth website. Apparently Fender has changed the design of their 5-string Deluxe models from 2.75 to 2.906. What that means is that there are plenty of both kinds of basses out there, and since Warmoth is basically sworn to make perfect replacements fr just about anything, I am now even more sure that they'll make another 2.75" neck for you. Again, I say CALL them telephonically.

Good luck, but I'm sure you shouldn't need much.