Replacing a 4x10 speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gearnerd, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gearnerd

Gearnerd

Nov 6, 2015
    I have an old SWR workingman 4x10 with a blown speaker that needs replacing. I have no idea what resistance speaker I should be getting though. The cab has an 8 ohm total resistance, so I think it needs a 16 ohm speaker. Help please!

2. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    The speaker is eminence made to swr spec, 8ohm 100w handling. Simply replacing it with an 8ohm off the shelf bass speaker will not necessarily sound the same. At the very least, get one designed for the same type and size of cabinet.

Your best bet would be to have the speaker reconed at a reputable place that has swr recone kits, it is a little cheaper than buying a new speaker that is not the same spec anyway (such as eminence bp109 etc)

Oc speaker is a good place, speakerrepair.com others may chime in on their experience with commercially available speakers. Note that eminence does not sell OEM spec speakers to the public, so you can't order amp brand speakers from them direct.

You could also.contact fender to see if they have any swr WM410 drivers left, but that is.doubtful, and would be more expensive than a recone.

3. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    By the way, to answer your resistance question, which is not the only factor to be considered, since there are many other specs to a speaker. Most 8ohm 4x cabinets use 8 ohm speakers wired series parallel, the only other possibilities would be 32 ohm drivers wired in parallel, or 2 ohm drivers wired in series. 2ohm drivers are not common in the instrument and pro audio world, and swr did not use the 32 ohm route (and they are not common either)

Others may simply say, take the speaker out and it should have the impedance marked on it, which would answer your question, but again, simply matching the impedance only gets you part way there.

4. Gearnerd

Gearnerd

Nov 6, 2015
    Thanks man. I threw the bad speaker out years ago. I just got a wild hair to get the cab working again so this is great info. I appreciate it

5. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Well not having the speaker eliminates the option of reconing since a recone job uses the old basket and magnet.

6. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Is the cab sealed?

7. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    A workingman 410 is a ported design similar to a Goliath III.

That deal on ebay should work, it is the same type of speaker, USA eminence stamped frame. It would be close enough.

8. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Don't see why he should have to replace 2

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    If it was me, and I couldn't find one replacement speaker.. I'd buy two of these
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker
    Make a baffle partioning it into 2 2x10s. Leave the stock speaker's in the ported half and the eminance in the sealed.
    Pretty high odds of getting it right.

But that's just me

10. The remaining speakers should have the same info printed somewhere on them as the discarded blown one did. That will help if you plan on matching the existing speakers.

11. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

FYI, Orange County Speaker is no longer in the business of speaker recones; in fact they have reorganized as GLS Audio. However, their main repair guy has set up shop on his own to continue the service, and can be found at: Home
    Since the OP tossed the blown speaker, he might want to look at Avatar Speakers – Factory Direct Speakers For Musicians Since 1992 to see what kind of deals on a quartet that would be available.

sheltjo6 likes this.
  12. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Interesting.......there's a WM410 listed on local CL w/3 blown speakers (I thing $50). I hope it's nothing endemic to those speakers?

13. When 2 or more speakers share the same cabinet space, they work in sync with each other. The performance of the cabinet depends on it. Your cabinet will not function correctly without four identical speakers.

14. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Thank you for sharing the link to Home
    I've used Orange County Speaker to recone several SWR speakers in the past and have had great results with their service.
    I was disappointed when I heard they closed their Garden Grove location and stop repairing speakers.
    Glad, to hear their main repair guy set up his own shop to continue this service.

15. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
  16. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Another one bites the dust eh?

17. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I might disagree on those odds, especially in the hassle to success ratio. Sounds like a good way to defeat a well designed cabinet. This is not a Marshall 412 with a removable back panel, nor even front panel. Major hassle to change the internal woodwork on an swr. Good way to destroy the thing.

rufus.K likes this.
  18. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Well, not exactly. They just shifted the concentration of their business to mail order/online sales of audio accessories, which they have had in place for a long time. Even in their brick'n'mortar speaker repair drop-off 'lobby', they've had this stuff on display for sale for ages, especially their house-brand 57 and 58 knock-offs. They cited the diminishing speaker repair volume for their getting out of that particular business, which could be plausible as, with neo's becoming more attractive, and fewer younger players caring about old, heavy JBL's, EV's, etc., and their maintenance issues, replacing, rather than reconing, has become the norm. Or it could be total BS, but then again no dust has actually been bitten as OCS's main repair guy is still carrying on, so you can go to the link I posted and do business with him.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021