1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing a cone, help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassAxe, Oct 4, 2002.

  1. BassAxe


    Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    What is a good source for getting top quality bass amp cones/woofers?

  2. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I recommend www.partsexpress.com

    Given their prices on Eminence drivers (actual sale price, NOT the listed suggested retail price), its almost the same price to just get a new driver.
  3. Parts Express does offer very good pricing, and on a wide variety of bass drivers.

    However, replacing one model driver with a different model is asking for trouble. Bass cabs are (supposed to be) sized and tuned to match the drivers being used. If you know the Thiele-Small parameters for your existing driver, you can possibly find a replacement Eminence or other driver. If you don't know this data, you are spitting into the wind, and the results are self-explanatory.

    Orange County Speaker Repair in Los Angeles is a very good source for reconing. But... if you have cheap drivers (Carvin PS10, etc), it is less expensive to buy a new, identical driver. If you are reconing JBL speakers, be SURE to specify using factory original parts, and not the cheap aftermarket kits.

Share This Page