1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing a Fender Jazz V neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marko 1, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    My MIM Jazz V neck went wonky. Action super-high and truss rod bottomed out. Took it to a tech guy and he agreed the neck is shot. It happens to be one with the five tuners on top, which I like, but not necessary to have.

I have a Squier Affinity Jazz V that’s kinda beat up and I don’t use, and was thinking the neck should fit, but I’d kinda like to keep that together for some reason. (Am I correct that it would fit on the Fender?)

Is there a place I can get a neck for it with the “Fender” logo on it? The tech was saying something about getting one, but having to send the old one in, but he didn’t seem real sure about the details.

Any suggestions, and cost estimates?

Thanks so much.

2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Bump.... :)

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Ouch... maybe I'll have to see if the Squier neck fits.

I'll just google and search for a replacement neck, maybe without the logo.

Thanks.

4. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    You may be able to get a little better deal from Warmoth. From my experience, they are super high quality parts. Mighty Mite, All Parts and US Guitar may also be an option for you.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Warmoth. Standard jazz 5 neck. 20 fret ....you want the 20 fret model. Not the 22 deluxe model.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    How the heck does a neck go bad after being okay for years-- 100+ gigs on it, then just hanging in the house with the rest of the basses that had no problem.

I do remember when i bought that bass new, hanging on the wall of a local music store the action was really high, but it adjusted down and set up nicely. Maybe it was just a bad neck from the get-go and finally went beyond what the truss rod could adjust.

:(

Doug Parent likes this.
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    MIM necks are iffy. Especially on 5's