1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing a Geddy Lee Jazz neck w/ a P Bass one.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fearlessdane, May 2, 2006.

1. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    Hey guys,

I'm about to invest in a GL signature model so I can have a bass that sounds good, but is cheap enough for me to not have to worry about it getting beat up when I play live (I'm in a signed, full U.S. touring band, so I need a bass that can take a beating). I'm stoked on the sound the bass produces, but the neck is just too friggen skinny for me. I am planning on replacing it with a P Bass neck, so my question is this...will any P Bass neck fit onto the Jazz body? Or are the dimensions of the two model's necks different? Also, do you think replacing the neck will greatly change the basses tone? Thanks in advance, guys.

FearlessDane

2. So which is it - A G&L or a Fender Geddy?

I don't recall G&L making a Geddy Lee Model:confused:

And, yes, you can replace the neck of a Jazz with a neck from a P. They are interchangeable.

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    ??? You can? I thought the profile of a jazz is different from a p neck amd vice versa therefore making it dificult for the direct swap, if i wanted a jazz neck on a p bass, wouldn't the pockets of the p-bass be too big for the jazz neck? :confused:

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    They're the same size at the heel. The differences come in at the nut and overal thickness.

5. P neck on a Geddy Lee works fine. This is a warmoth fretless P. Went on w/o a hitch. View attachment 33979

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    When you take off the Geddy neck, I want it. I am planning to switch my fretless neck to another body and put a Geddy neck on my currently-fretless Jazz. Then I'll give it to my daughter. (Okay, until she's ready to gig, I'll still use it. But the plan is for her to have a Geddy-like Jazz using my 88 MIJ Standard's body, and I'll have my fretless neck on a Warmoth body with a J-retro and a BA-II)

So remember, when you take the Geddy neck off, sell it to me.:hyper:

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I want the neck too!
    If previous dibber - is that a word? - falls over dead I call it!

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You are in quite an enviable position. For what you get if you sell the Geddy Lee neck, you should be able to get a really nice warmoth p neck and have enough $ to have it properly installed and setup.

9. fearlessdane

fearlessdane

Aug 29, 2005
    Portland, OR. Los Angeles, CA.
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg, Fender, Ernie Ball
    Haha. Sounds pretty good to me. Now the only thing I need to do is find a good, solid Fender P Bass neck.

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Do i have 3rd dibs on it now? I'm super interested, I want a skinny neck on a p-bass body

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    4th dibs! I call 4th!