Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing a Mesa Buster 1X15 Driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hi, Gang!
    You may be aware that I just recently picked up a Mesa Buster 200 1X15 combo. The driver looks a little haggard and I am considering a little rennovation. Should I go for a recone or another driver? Any suggestions?

Also, how, in the name of the Allmighty, do I go about finding the optimum replacement driver if I go that direction? I know this has to do with a lot of math (shudder) and I am not going to be able to knuckle that out on my own. I need a speaker guru!

2. That's pretty hard to say these days, with speakers all being made in China in a lot (if not most) cases it's cheaper to get a new speaker than it is to recone the old one.

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    should be an EVM-15L or 15B

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Huh? IIRC, Eminence is the worlds largest speaker manufacturer and builds them all right here in the USA!!!

If the speaker is an EVM, simply get it reconed either with a true EV kit or more affordably by WeberVST. Being a speaker manufacturer themselves (also in the USA), Weber can go above and beyond by remagnetizing the magnet, etc. Their work is top notch and prices quite reasonable. www.webervst.com

5. +1

Get the woofer either repaired or a new EV, which sounds IMO the best with Mesa.