1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing a neck on a cheap Ibanez fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by T.O.Bass, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Heya. I have an Ibanez SR300DXF (4 string fretless) that has some serious neck issues. Simply put, the neck is soft as butter (you can bend it with one hand) and as a result it's impossible to straighten it out perfectly and get it to stay that way. Now I know most people wouldn't bother with this, as it's a cheap bass, but it has LOADS of sentimental value and I could never part with it.

Anyways,

My question is this: should I even bother with another Ibanez neck? I mean, I know it's probably an isolated incident, but the neck material is low quality to begin with. Buying another cheap neck doesn't seem like a good idea. But what other neck could I use to replace it?

2. bump

3. How long can you get your current neck to stay in position? Necks tend to change with the weather - the drier it gets, the more they bow.

Ibanez necks are indeed thin, but I've never heard of one that wouldn't keep a setup (unless it was truly defective). Does it keep going the same direction, or does it go back and forth?

If it comes time to replace the neck, I don't think you'll find an aftermarket neck - you'll probably have to go through your Ibanez dealer. Too bad - I always thought those were good basses for the money.

4. Sadly, it's defective... I mean, grab the base of the neck with one hand and the top of the neck with the other, and you can bend it QUITE visibly. I've straightened it coutless times, and within a couple of days, it bows again.

Consequently I'm wary of getting another Ibanez neck, but I don't what could replace it (in terms of fitting the neck pocket and whatnot).

5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you purchase an Ibanez neck direct, it may have some sort of warranty. Alternatively, buying a used neck or a beater to take the neck from might be cheaper than buying just the neck directly from Ibanez.

I'm not a Soundgear fan, but I haven't heard of the necks being too bad quality. Alternatively, there may be someone on TB that will build you a neck...

6. J-chot

J-chot

Oct 10, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    http://www.rondomusic.com/partsbodies.html

would these help? multiple people have reccomended these to me as excellent necks that are at fantastic prices.
    don't know how they would work with an ibanez, but I'm sure you could adjust it.

7. Unfortunately, none of those necks are long enough - they'd have to be 24 frets, plus have that goofy "half-trapezoid" fit to the neck/heel joint...

8. Hmm, so I guess a stock neck from Ibanez would be the best route to take. Do you need to go though a dealer, or can you order from them direct (for parts specifcally)?