1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacing a neck-through headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnumtrooper, Dec 7, 2011.

1. magnumtrooper

magnumtrooper

Nov 18, 2011
    Recently i decided to get my first bass guitar. After getting some advice here I quickly realized buying a used one was my best option. but i wanted to get a cool bass too, and with my small budget this was a problem. Then i thought i could buy a cool broken bass and fix it, since i love fixing things. so i bought a neck-through bass without a head! for 199$, i might add. Also, on ebay the seller said it was a Tobias bass, but i don't know. it just looks cool to me

*it didn't come with the head*

here are 2 pictures of it on flickr
    IMG_0367 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_0376 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i normally would just start fixing something but this is expensive (for me) and i don't want to mess it up.

So how could i build a new headstock and attach it securely? :confused:

2. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm sorry to say, but I think you got yourself a really bad deal.
    I think your bass is a cheap Harley Benton.

HARLEY BENTON HBZ-2004 - Thomann Nederlandse Cyberstore

Also, I think it's broken beyond the possibillity of repair.
    So overall, I would advice you to send it back immidiately.
    Good luck.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +1

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Your best plan of action is to try to get a refund because it's clearly not a tobias.

There's no use in fixing that man. :meh:

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    That's not going to be easy, or economically feasible. I have an SD Curlee bass with a bad truss rod design and it's not worth paying someone to repair it but an attempt by me is still not as difficult as what yours needs.

If they said it's one brand and it's clearly not, you may have recourse. Contact ebay about this.

6. IF you had the original headstock, it would be repairable, but it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one. But IF you had it, you could try to fix it yourself. There is NO way to build a new one and attach it to the existing neck- the broken pieces of wood have to match up exactly, like puzzle pieces.
    And no, it's not a Tobias, sorry.

7. Gr8tbass

Gr8tbass

Aug 7, 2010
    SoCal
    Firewood.

You probably could buy one new for less than what you paid for that.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Wow. Colossal ripoff. You could have bought a brand new SX bass for less than that, with enough left over for a new set of strings!

Get a refund, that thing is worthless. Luckily you might have a chance since it was supposed to be a Tobias.

9. Wow! That's disgraceful that someone would even try to sell something like that...just terrible.

Good luck trying to get a refund from someone who would do that :-\

10. Thats pretty much my thoughts exactly. It would seem that the seller had intentions of hoping to rip someone off.
    He could have easily found out if it was a Tobias or not, but instead sold it with no regard for the truth.

I hope you can get your money back, I really do. As everyone else said, this is a lost cause.

Am I correct in thinking that you would also probably need a new fingerboard to fix this as well?

11. And there are plenty of Tobias basses that still wouldn't be worth $200 like that.

12. THE DANiMAL

THE DANiMAL

Nov 22, 2007
    Bartlett, IL
    +1. sadly.

13. Did you see the second post? New, it's a $250 (USD) bass. Just sick.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Its going to cost you more to fix I am afraid...

The only thing I see you could do with it is do a custom headless bass conversion... Probably going to have to start with the nut point at the 2nd fret. So all the fret dots are now going to be meaningless...

IMHO - way much more trouble than its worth. Start a claim with the seller yesterday...

Good luck!

15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    I think the best/easiest way to fix this won't necessarily look great, but it would work. Cut the neck off and make it so the body is like a regular bolt-on bass. Rout a neck pocket (making sure it's in the correct position for balance and intonation) and pick a neck. If you find a neck option that can be duplicated in fretless form, you can have two basses without spending as much but if it doesn't sound good, it will be a waste.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Um... there is a whole thread here that might be worth checking out. I am wondering what the OP's original plan was, even before finding out this wasn't a Tobias bass.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude! You have the internet at your disposal! You could have searched out Tobias and looked at every model ever made! You just spent $200 on a piece of junk! Sorry to be so harsh but have to do your research! As said above, you could have bought a brand new SX and pimped it out if you wanted! I do hope you get your money back! File a complaint with eBay!

18. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Interesting. This bass does not appear on eBay's "recently completed" page. This indicates that it was either not sold on eBay as a Tobias, or possibly not sold on eBay at all..

Something fishy here....

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I looked there as well... no found

20. Sorry, but there is no economically feasible way to repair this.

Buying it was a bad decision - cut your losses, remove the electronics and hardware and keep them for parts.

I don't know Tobias...but if you did buy it on Ebay, based on the comments above, go after the seller for a false claim on the brand. You don't have a basis for returning it based on being foolish enough to buy it, but if it was falsely advertised as a Tobias, you do.