Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing a nut.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Aug 9, 2005.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    If this has already been covered and I am being redundant, I apologize. But here is my situation:

The brass nut on my Spector was really worn out and needed to be replaced. The action was way too low and the "A" string would rub against the fret board thus creating a terrible buzzing sound. To correct this I placed small pieces of paper in the groove of the nut so as to lift the string, but this becomes a problem since the paper will fall out eventually. Anyways, after locating a Spector retailer in Canada I called them and ordered a brand new brass nut for my bass. Now, here is my problem - After installing the new nut, the action is much too high - especially on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fret - and therefore I will have to grind down the nut.

My question - Is this a task that anyone has completed themselves? I never ran into this kind of issue, and do not want to ruin the brass nut (which cost me over $70.00) that I ordered. Do you think a guitar repair shop will charge up the @ss for this kind of work? Money is not too big of a problem, but if this is a simple task that can be completed with a grinder then I may give it a try. Any other suggestions?

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    You may have to adjust the Truss Rod and create more of a bow outward. This flex of the neck will cause the strings to sit lower to the frets. There are MANY posts and instructions to do so on the web. This in combination with lowering the saddles and an intonation adjustment should be your fix. Otherwise it is off to the sanding for you. Remember it is better to do it a bunch of times to get where you want than to automatically just start filing too much away. You can always file more but can't get what you have already done back.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Thanks for the quick reply. I baught this bass used, and whoever had it before me must of filed down the slots in the original nut (they must of used some thick strings). I have not really done anything in terms of intonation yet, I will give it a try and see if it works.

Cheers.