Replacing a nut...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Jun 30, 2002.

1. I want to replace the nut on my Warwick Streamer STD. Id like to know hoe to install it, where the best place to get it would be, what kind would be best for the bass (brass, bone, etc.), and if anyone has dont this to there Warwick for the same reason.
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  3. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Are you good with tools? Do you have the specs for nut height? Is the nut a blank or does it have the slots filed?

Unless you're really good with repair work, i'd leave nut replacement to the pros! It can really F#&* up your action and cause all sorts of buzz problems if done incorrectly.

I recently busted a nut on my p-bass and fashioned one from scratch from a stock piece of aluminum. ( gig that night, no back up bass, no money or time for a luthier). after a lot of cutting, grinding, shaping, swearing and sweating I got it to work ( by SHEER luck it worked fantastic). But it's definately not for the faint of heart.

Good luck
  4. Amen to that.

The nut slotting tools are about $58 from Warmoth. Buy at least two nut blanks from them when you buy the tools. A TB poster here mentioned using the first nut as a sacrifice. File down the nut until you get buzz, then file down the 2nd nut not as far.

By this time you will have about $70 invested in tools, materials, tax and shipping. Your time has value, so factor that in also.

Let a professional do it.