Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing a P neck with a J neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Barfly, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I'm playing a MIA P and a MIM J.
    I love the J neck, eventhough the P neck is a good challenge.

That said, I've decided to replace the P neck with a J neck for my own comfort and play.

How hard is this to do?

2. Replacing a neck is easy.. just unstring it.. then remove the screws, remove the neck, put new neck on, tighten screws and do setup..

putting some lock-tight on the screw-holes, and some wood-glue between the body and neck improves the resonance.

but afaik Jazzbass necks are narrower than P-bass necks.. standard necks that is..

3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I am planning on doing the same on my Precision. I found some info and measures here http://www.warmoth.com.

Appears to be an easy job. Only thing that bugs me is that the Fender-logo will have to go.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't think that is a very good idea. If you ever have to take it off again, you are going to be one unhappy camper. Perhaps it would improve resonance, but the down side is you are either going to have to steam the neck and body apart or leave a big chunk of one attached to the other when you beat them apart with a hammer and chistle.

Chas

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Hmmm...maybe a nice Telebass neck would look sharp, too, in a Jazz width.