1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing a Rivoli PU with a new Gibson mudbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johnp352, Mar 5, 2013.

1. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    Getting a 90's Epi Korean RI rivoli..want to replace the pickup. Common knowledge is a Model One, or a vintage mudbucker (when did these start to cost $400..sheesh), or possibly a boutique rewind or construction. However, is there another option? Apparently the Mudbucker looking thing in a gibson SG bass is a TB plus in the disguise of a mudbucker. I like the way these sound, at least in a Les Paul bass, and they might be more adaptable to the varitone I want to toss in as well...so:

Anyone do this yet? Can you even buy these as replacement parts? The SG is a long scale, would the string spacing pole pieces line up..or since it really is a TB plus, do the pole pieces actually work or are they ..umm...faux pole pieces? I have the awful feeling I have to go to a GC with a MM ruler and start measuring..things.

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    A few threads below Curtis Novak tells about his EB pickups. I'd contact him.

3. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    thanks, and yes he builds great pu's, but I was wondering about the the current Gibson tb+/mudbucker casing pickup.