1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing a Roland/Boss EV-5 expression by an EB VP-JR (Boss content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Hey guys,

anyone of you ever tried using an Ernie Ball VP-JR as an expression pedal? I would like to use one with my Boss PS-3, but am not sure this would work (and I don't dare trying before someone tells me it's ok, because Boss says "only use our products otherwise you'll break everything").

I have an EB VP-Jr active pedal (25k pot). I didn't really find any definitive info, be it on TB or google. I've read that it depends highly on the type of pedal the expression is connected to. Some use the expression as a divider, some need the resistor (I suppose this means the pot value..?) to be of some certain kind. I found this here:

My question would be:

Can I use the EB VP-JR 25k with the PS-3 (and other Boss and Moog pedals)?
    Do I need a TRS cable, or can I just plug in a regular patch cable from the output of the VP-Jr?
    If not, should the EB VP-Jr 25k be rewired to another pot value (10k?), and if yes, same question applies.. TRS or patch cable?

2. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    bump. no one with an idea or who as ever tried this? :)

3. There is a guy that has multiple VP-JR pedals modded as expression pedals. I want to say it's MSterling or Jared Lash. I can't remember, I just saw them offer to lend one to bhendy the other day. I did a quick search and I couldn't find the post. Hopefully they will chime in. I'm interested this idea too. I'm pretty sure it requires some mods though.

4. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I think Jean Baudin modded his EB VP Jr's with instructions provided by Taylor at Iron Ether (I hope I got this right...not trying to spread rumors :ninja:).

I know Thru-tone does the mod, but Diz-AMN!! it's expensive. I'm sure it's nothing short of stellar:
    THRU-TONE FX & Modifications - Ernie Ball "Pro Mod"

Also, Dan at This1smyne does a mod at a more reasonable price. I'm currently having him do the tone suck mod my VP Jr :
    MOD’ifying Your Pedals « T1M EFFECTS

Hope this helps...

5. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    yeah I've read all about those mods... Searched all forums and google... But I couldn't find the info I'm looking for, ie, how does the VP JR behave itself with a Boss pedal, can it easily the replace the Boss expression pedal?

Anyway, I have a Neutrik TRS insert cable on order, so I'll find out soon. I just hope I don't break the PS-3 because the pot of the VP JR is not of the kind it should be :meh:

6. Bollenator

Bollenator The Ersatz Haderach

Jun 2, 2010
    Western Washington
  7. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    well I tried the 25K into the PS-3 with a Neutrik TRS insert cable.. pure bass whammy goodness! (seriously, I have one and it as sounds as good, tracks even better!)