1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing a speaker in a Traynor 2x15 with a Peavey Black Widow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bovine mind, Apr 20, 2009.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i can provide photos tonight if this can't be answered without them, but i've got a giant hole in the cone of the lower 15" speaker in my Traynor 2x15. the cab is 4 ohms, i don't have the model specs in front of me. the cab looks to be from the late 70's.

how do i replace the entire speaker with a peavey black widow myself?

i've been told it should be as easy as:

1. unscrew the damaged speaker. pull it out, clip the two wires.

2. put in the peavey, screw it in. i see there are two "terminals" red and black on the back of the peavey. how to i connect these inside the cabinet?

is it as simple as this?

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    May I suggest that you search the FAQ or threads on replacement speaker. While it is a simple thing to put a BW into a Traynor box getting to work at its best is much more challenging.

Paul

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Yeah, as long as the speaker impedances match, ie both of the speakers are 4 ohms.

4. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    the speakers are each 8 ohms, together yielding a 4 ohm cab [ i think ].

the part i don't understand is how to connect/install the red and black terminals inside the cab. i haven't seen what kind of connection is inside but i assume there are bare wires, if so i don't know how to connect those to the terminals on the peavey.

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi bovine mind.

Your Traynor 2X15" is a 2150 (fair size, gray tolex, two wheels & a bar handle, two slot-type ports between the speakers)?

If so, this was the cab sold with the MonoBlock II and IIRC has two, 200 watt (Eminence I believe), 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel to yield 4 ohms.

So you already have the Peavey Black Widow 15" that you wish to use as a replacement driver, and it's 8 ohms?

--------

The speaker leads attach to the drivers via those spade lug-type connectors. Just grab the connector between your thumb & forefinger and wiggle it off.

The wires themselves will likely be black & white, or black & yellow (or maybe other colors depending on available wire at the time of manufacture).

The black wire will be ground (-), and the other color will be positive (+).

You may find the (-) and (+) symbols stamped, inked, or stickered on the speaker frame near the terminals.

On your Peavey driver the black terminal should be (-), and the red (+).

--------

You may wish to move the remaining good Traynor speaker to the lower position in your cab and install the Peavey in the upper. Why? So you can hear the Black Widow better it case it doesn't work well in the Traynor cab and begins to fart out at high volumes.

--------

After you've installed the two drivers, confirm that you got their polarity correct by using the battery test (plug one end of a speaker cable into the cab, and, using a 9 volt battery, touch the (+) terminal to the plug's tip and the (-) to the plug's sleeve while observing the cabs two speakers. They should both move in the same direction.

--------

For further help: Yorkville/Traynor Club?!

6. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    MIJ-VI thanks very much for the detailed intstructions. i am picking up the black widow tomorrow and will give it a shot.

the Traynor cab has two wheels and two handles, ports and all. the tolex may have been gray at one time, but appears to have been spray painted black and red at some point. it's rumored to have belonged to the Residents at one time.

i'll report back if it works.

7. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    just pulled out the damaged speaker - cerwin vega.

clipped the metal ends off the two speaker cabinet wires and easily inserted them into the peavey black widow terminals.

while tighening the screws into the new speaker, i had a hard time getting them into the cabinet to align properly. as a result i slipped and dug the screwriver right into the speaker cone! thankfully it was only a small rip, and i haven't noticed it while playing.

pretty easy installation all together.

8. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    :eek: It's too late for this woofer, but the next time you use a screw driver, please guide its tip with your other hand's fingers & thumb so that if the screwdriver's tip slips, you can limit where it goes.

You may want to try *patching the tear in your speaker by applying a small swatch of that Scotch brand thin & very sticky, semi-transparent tape (to both sides of the tear) which is used to tape up cardboard boxes and parcels that are to be shipped/posted. It comes in ~ 3" - 4" wide rolls for a few bucks.

A Cerwin Vega 15"? Traynor used those in the straight-back 2X15" cab (covered in grey tolex), which was sold with the Mono BLOCK B, from 1973 through 1976. That cab had a 4-wheeled plywood dolly (also covered in grey tolex) which attached to its bottom via velcro IIRC.

Perhaps Traynor also used CV 15" woofers in the earlier production runs of the angled-back 2X15" cab introduced with the Mono BLOCK II in 1977.

--------

*EDIT: If you do patch the tear in your new woofer with tape, please make sure the area around the tear is clean first. As well, cut circular swatches of tape instead of squares in order to avoid corners which may eventually dog-ear and buzz against the woofer's cone.

9. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    thanks for the info. the tear is pretty small, about half an inch. is it really too late for this woofer? i haven't noticed any irregularities in sound. i just spent $100 on the replacement!

i'll try patching it with tape. should i fear the tear will widen over time?

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Tape won't work, you have to glue on a patch or the driver will shred, sooner than later.

11. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Oh no! I meant it's too late to employ a more deft screwdriver technique. :D

If you patch the hole, the driver should be OK. At this point you have nowhere to go but up re patching it.

If the hole is left as is, when you play it at loud volumes I'd expect that a LOT of air will be forced through that hole possibly expanding the damage.

I'd go with the stitch-in-time approach myself.

12. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    This sounds way better.

What kind of glue? Which type of patching material?

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Dap contact cement and lens cleaning paper (for camera lenses or eyeglasses).

14. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    does this have to be applied to both sides of the cone?

15. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    I would. But then I was suggesting tape. :bag:

16. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    1) cut lens paper so it goes at 1/4" beyond tear in all directions
    2) apply cement to cone so the entire patch will be in the cement
    3) stick the patch in the cement
    4) WAIT at least 2 hours and apply cement over the patch and previously applied cement

If you don't wait the new cement will reactivate the old and it will bugger up on you; nothing deadly, but it isn't pretty.

Do both sides if you can, especially since it's a bass speaker. This is the same stuff Weber recommends for doping speakers.

17. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Cool! :)

This method can be used to repair damaged speaker surrounds as well as cones!