1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacing a speaker (woofer)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mr dudeawho, Apr 23, 2010.

1. mr dudeawho

mr dudeawho

Apr 23, 2010
    what is the best 15 i want it to be loud and clean with a high rms for a good price thanks

2. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I wouldn't dare suggest which one should you get but I will tell you my experience. I once had a 250W 15" cab with a Celestion speaker inside which needed to be replaced. I bought an Eminence replacement speaker with the exact specs as the Celestion, and upon the first try I almost sh*t my pants. It was loud, clean bright and everything else that one expects from a speaker. Most importantly for me back then, it was the cheapest one.
    Good luck.

P.S. Posting in the amps department might give you more suggestions :)

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    Eminence 3015HO will probably be the loudest and cleanest you will get in a single speaker setup.

4. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    Personally, I've had excellent results with Carvin's raw speakers. I bought a PS15-4 for a single 15 cabinet I had, and it sounds awesome! I recently bought their NE15-4 for a retrofit to an old Peavey 1810 cabinet. I made a new baffle board out of 3/8" plywood to fit over the hole left by the 18, glued and screwed it in place after cutting the hole for the 15, and mounted it. Great sound, plenty of highs on its own, and sounds great with the 2 10's (I replaced the Peaveys with Carvin PS10-8's).

I also eliminated the crossover in the cabinet, and wired the speakers directly to new rear jacks, 1 for the 15, and another for the 10's, with a toggle switch to choose either 1 10 at 8 ohms, or 2 10s at 4 ohms. The reason for that is that the head I will use with this cabinet is a GK 800RB, which has a 100 watt amp for the highs in bi-amp mode that is rated for an 8 ohm load, and I have learned the hard way not to run it at any less. I didn't have the money to buy 2 - 16 ohm speakers for the cabinet, so I came up with this solution. If I use another head, I can get both 10s working at 4 ohms, and it will sound even better. it's going to sit in our practice room anyway, so it isn't going to be played all that loudly. Sometimes, you make do with what you have....

So, bottom line (pun intended), don't overlook Carvin as a source. I believe that Eminence and Celestion are who makes their private brand speakers, and I've had excellent results with them.

5. Read the FAQ about replacing speakers. It is not so simple as buying any 15" you fancy and sticking it in a pre existing box.

Paul

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    To be fair the 3015 will fit in almost any box to better effect than other drivers. Under 3.5cf, over 2.5cf, 40-50hz tuning, not all optimal but generally superior to the driver it's replacing in terms of output anyway.

There is nothing better than the 3015 to "drop in" to a random cabinet without checking, and it's cheap too for what it does.

7. Replace a speaker with the identical part number and brand. Then the speaker will perform as designed.