1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing a switch in a Vintage Microtubes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rgleason87, Mar 27, 2015.

1. rgleason87

rgleason87

Mar 6, 2012
    So I have a older version of the VMT and the older switch which is nowhere near as reliable as the new switches that Darkglass started putting in their pedals since they moved there operations back to Finland. It's by far my favorite and the most versatile bass drive that I've ever used but it drives me completely insane when the switch doesn't take which happens shockingly often.

I have one of the new Duality fuzzes which has the new switch and it is so much more reliable. My question is has anyone switched out the old switch for the newer version or spoken to Darkglass about doing a switch swap? I've already tried to contact them, but I was curious if anyone else had tried something similar?

Like I said I love the pedal, but the switching is so unreliable with the old switch that I would love to get it swapped if that's possible.

2. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    The Switch on my Finnland b3k failed often after a while. Talked to Doug of Darkglass, sent it to him and he repaired it free of charge. Didn't know the new version is more reliable concerning the switch.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Doug will fix it.

If you've "tried to contact him" I am sure he has already responded.

4. rgleason87

rgleason87

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for the info folks. Just send a DM to Doug so I'm sure from the sound of it I'll be hearing back shortly.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I definitely wouldn't consider the relay switch a 'less reliable' switch, any switch can fail. This is the same switch system that pedal makers like 3 Leaf, Way Huge, and VFE use.

Also the new switch is not true bypass, so likely not an easy swap for the user.

6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hey! I think you are talking about the very first generation of B3K?
    We've had to repair zero switches since the move back to Finland (2014 onwards) ;).

I think the mod might be doable by a skilled tech but it might be pricey since you'll need to drill the box to include stand offs for the actuator and the tact switch (which will need it's own small PCB).
    If you have a skilled tech feel free to send him my way and I'll give him more detailed info ;).

I think the OP's issue is with the actual stomp switch more than the relay bypass. All though I disagree on relay reliability, that's a whole different discussion ;).