Replacing a Tube in Markbass Compressore

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GilGB, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Hey everyone,
    Does anyone have any idea how to replace the 12AT7 Tube in the Markbass Compressore?

2. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    Have you opened it up? It's probably self explanatory

3. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Bushwood Caddy Day: 1:00 to 1:15 Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very simple. Remove 6 screws (3 on each side), 2 back plastic nuts on the back, and the nut on the footswitch. Remove the case, then gently unplug the ribbon cable from the board.
    Put it back together in reverse order.

4. Fender2015

Fender2015 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2013
    How do you take the actual tube out?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Gently wiggle it back and forth while pulling it away from the socket.

6. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    If that doesn't work...use a hammer and chisel....only kidding...DON'T do that!

gregmon79 likes this.
  7. Fender2015

Apr 22, 2013
    Are you sure it's an 12at7? I ordered it and it looks too small

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The 12A*7 and ECC** models are all the same size and pin pattern.

9. Fender2015

Apr 22, 2013
    I think it needs an adapter. The 12A and ECC are miniature and the socket in which you need to plug it in is much bigger (I may have thought the adapter was the bottom of the tube and thrown it out with the tube--Woops).

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I have to admit it's been a few years since seeing inside one of these pedals, but I sure don't remember any adapter. Can you post a pic of what you're seeing?

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Hey Bongo, have you by chance tried any other tubes in the MB Compressore? I'm thinking about swapping mine out just to be on the safe side - the comp fell off my 1x12 amp to a concrete floor. Still seems to work fine. Not sure if that is any worse than what happens during shipping. Anyway, the sound man said he was getting hiss from me yesterday. After a little detective work today I found that the compressor does generate a bit of hiss, but it may just be because I was using it to add some gain to my signal (gain on max and volume at noon). It's quiet if I dial it back to unity gain (either with volume or gain) but I don't remember hiss being a problem before, even when using it as a clean boost.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Regrettably I haven't had my hands on a Compressore in years. I also don't know if there's any practical difference between the older and newer models in the particular of how the tube is installed.

Doner Designs likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021