Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing active p/u's with passive p/u's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassBoyLeroy, Aug 18, 2003.

1. I'm look to replacce the active pickups/electronics in my MIM deluxe active Jazz. How much work would this require? What would I need to do it and do it right? I'm looking at installing either a set of Basslines or a set of DiMarzio Ultra J's.

Thanks,
    Pat

2. Both are active.

Pat

3. [Dana Carvey]
    That is corrayect
    [/Dana Carvey]

Sorry for being so vague, Smash. Thanks for your patience.:bassist:

Pat

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If your bass still has the original electonics, your pickups are passive. It's your preamp that's active. All you need to do is take out the preamp and put in passive pots. You'll have 4 holes to fill in your control plate since your jack is side mounted. You'll need three 250K pot + a capasitor to make one a tone pot. Pots are about $6 each. That will fill 3 of your holes. Don't know what to tell you about filling the 4th.

You may want to consider replacing the preamp with a better one. Those Fender preamps are garbage IMO. I replaced mine and it was a HUGE improvement. You could go with a 2-band Bart preamp for about $45 and have vol-blend-bass-treb controls. Or, do what I did and get a Aguilar OBP-3 for more like $130.

5. Aha! So I could put new passive pickups in my bass! Rad! And I agree with ya, I'm not too much of a fan of the fender pre-amp. How much work would it be to make it all passive?

6. I will definitely come back if I need help! Thanks for your help. By the way, does Bartolini still make a pre-amp with an active/passive switch?

Pat

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I put an active/passive switch on my Aguilar, but I'm not sure about the Barts. Contact sales@bestbassgear.com. I bought my preamp from them and they were very helpful. They sell Bart, Aguilar and J-retro preamps. By the way, I belive the onboard OBP-1 is boost only, not cut/boost like the OBP-3, but I still hear that they're great. It's the 2-band version. My Aguilar is fat sounding. I hear the Bart preamps are "darker". As much as I love my Aguilar, I can't help but wonder if I'd prefer the Bart. Fat isn't really what I'm after, I like aggressive growl, but I'll still take it.

Guitarelectronics.com has good wiring diagrams if you want to give passive a try. You can go traditional vol-vol-tone, or master vol-blend-tone (my preference). To do the later, you'll need a blend pot in place of one of the standard pots.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes they do, the preamp itself doesn't go passive - what an active / passive switch does is route the signal straight to the jack from the blend/volume pot rather than via the preamp. So even when you're bypassing the preamp, it's still on and drawing battery current once you insert the cord into the jack.

Bartolini sell a bunch of pre-wired harnesses, I believe all the ones with 'AP' on them have active/passive bypass push/pull on the volume switch. Call their distributor, Mr Wagner, and he'll be happy to help you work out what you want.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It depends on the bass you're putting them in, the combinations of placement, woods etc. To me, Barts don't work on warwick basses. I tried them in my Thumb and hated it. But my bass has bart pups/pre and it sounds great!

10. Bekkeland

Bekkeland

May 16, 2003
    Sandnes, Norway
    Do yourself a favour and check out the J-Retro preamp from John East.
    3 band EQ and active/passive switch
    No permanent modifications needed.
    :D