1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing amp input

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EtoBb, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    20171114_114753. I have an amp with an input made of plastic. It has been cracked and doesn't hold my 1/4 very well. Has anyone replaced an input like this? It looks like it is soldered to the board. Any advice? This is my home practice amp and I'd like to do it myself to save the bench fee. 20171114_114732.

2. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    You might be able to squeeze a Switchcraft 12A into that space, but you may need to use the insulating shoulder washers if the sleeve has to be isolated from the chassis.
    I never did care much for those plastic 1/4 inch jacks; the plastic is often brittle and the contact spring pressure weak.

3. Do you have experience with soldering and more especially desoldering and clean up on a pcb board?
    If not, take it to a repair tech. It is very easy to destroy the pad on the board rendering the whole amp junk.

Al Kraft and BassmanPaul like this.
  4. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL

Nope. That was my main concern. I want more soldering experience, but when I saw PCB I was disappointed. I think I can be honest with myself and my soldering skills. I was looking for some advice or a tutorial to determine if I should just bring it to a shop.

S-Bigbottom and Al Kraft like this.
  5. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Good soldering skills is important, and it is assumed that anyone undertaking such a task is capable of soldering. However, if the pads do inadvertently get damaged, they can almost always be fixed up with jumpers. I wouldn't throw out an amp relegated as "junk" just because of something like this.

EtoBb likes this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Use the factor part, they are available. A good tech won't damage the board.

EtoBb likes this.
  7. Sure you can always repair, but it is best to not make a situation that will require a tech to fix a botched job and just let him do the jack swap.

Good to be honest. Get some old boards and practice, it is fun and a good skill to have. Still know your limits.
    It is NOT something you want to learn on your working amp. :(

Passinwind, agedhorse and EtoBb like this.