1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Ampeg 810E: What's more important, freq response or power handling?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bovine mind, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Currently: Gibson Ripper, droptuned to CGCF, Sunn 1200s, Sunn 215BH, Ampeg 810E, lot's of low pass / octave / subby / fuzz effects play, loud band, metal oriented, usually little PA support. I like to be felt and heard. Previously used an SVT-CL with no issues, speakers could handle it, but found the head to be lacking in the earth rumbling deep lows I've been looking for. Recently bought the Sunn 1200s, immediately noticeable different in how much more low end the amp can produce, can't turn it up beyond 4 with reasonably flat EQ without...

The problem: speaker pops / mild farts on certain notes when using octave down and low pass filter pedals. Sunn 1200s puts out 1200 watts at 2 Ohms, my current power handling between cabinets is 800w for the Sunn [ upgraded EV speakers ] and 800w for the 810E @ 1600w.

So, 1200w power into 1600w handling.

I've decided to downsize [ surprise ] from my current rig to have one full vertical stack. I'd rather sell off the Ampeg 810E than the Sunn 215BH. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding an affordable cab in the used market [ under $500 ] that will be able to handle the 1200w when used the with 215BH.

The cab I'll most likely end up with is the Ampeg 410HLF, given its lower frequency response. But @ 500w power handling, I'm a little worried, don't wan't to loose the chest rattling thump. How does the 410HLF compare to an 810E, should I look for how low a cab goes or how much power it can take?

RMS Power Handling: 500-Watts
    Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you make things really hard on yourself by your insane volume demands. i have no comment for you other than that. you will have to decide for yourself which is more important. but if it were me being you, i would go for volume every time.

3. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    Well Jimmy, it's not about just being LOUD for me anymore. I'm actually looking to be FELT more than heard now. I have enough power to drown out my guitarist and unintentionally do from time to time. My focus is more on giant subby lows as opposed to ear shredding volume.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    then if you want subby lows, IMO, the 410HLF should give you what your looking for.