1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing Ampeg Svt 4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CustomFbass, Jan 12, 2004.

1. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    Im not 100% sure if i want to do this yet. I like my head and all, but sometimes it does weird stuff to me. I love my ampeg so i was thinking maybe going with a power amp and a Svp Pro. Trade in my head for a power amp and the preamp. I play in a melodic hardcore style band and i require that growl.

What do you think?

I do have a 9 space rack. Just in case you wondered.

Thank for any replies.

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had an SVT IV Pro and I liked it very much. It started loosing power and making noises at about 8 months. I got rid of it the next day. I would probably do that with almost any amp though.
    No friggn' way do I want that happening at a gig. Now I just buy used amps. They seem to be cheaper and more reliable. I have gathered a collection of amps. The pre/power idea is more flexible. I did that too with Eden. I went all tube though. Try a Mesa 400+

3. CustomFbass

CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Ontario
    thanks for the reply man. I never had a problem with my head till me and my guitarist just werent thinking and hooked up 2 speakon to 1/4 from the A power section into my one 4x10 cab...i sold my cabs and run an 8x10.

As for the mesa. Ive tried the 400+ and didnt like it very much. There was something missing from it for my liking. Now the SVT CL...that does it for me. But i like the solid state power and the tube pre sound. Its what i need for my bass and my sound.

Thanks again

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Try an Ampeg SVT II-Pro. 300 TUBE watts.
    Sounds awesome but is heavy as hell...