Replacing Ampeg Svt 4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CustomFbass, Jan 12, 2004.

1. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    Im not 100% sure if i want to do this yet. I like my head and all, but sometimes it does weird stuff to me. I love my ampeg so i was thinking maybe going with a power amp and a Svp Pro. Trade in my head for a power amp and the preamp. I play in a melodic hardcore style band and i require that growl.

What do you think?

I do have a 9 space rack. Just in case you wondered.

Thank for any replies.
  2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had an SVT IV Pro and I liked it very much. It started loosing power and making noises at about 8 months. I got rid of it the next day. I would probably do that with almost any amp though.
    No friggn' way do I want that happening at a gig. Now I just buy used amps. They seem to be cheaper and more reliable. I have gathered a collection of amps. The pre/power idea is more flexible. I did that too with Eden. I went all tube though. Try a Mesa 400+
  3. CustomFbass

Sep 14, 2003
    thanks for the reply man. I never had a problem with my head till me and my guitarist just werent thinking and hooked up 2 speakon to 1/4 from the A power section into my one 4x10 cab...i sold my cabs and run an 8x10.

As for the mesa. Ive tried the 400+ and didnt like it very much. There was something missing from it for my liking. Now the SVT CL...that does it for me. But i like the solid state power and the tube pre sound. Its what i need for my bass and my sound.

Thanks again
  4. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Try an Ampeg SVT II-Pro. 300 TUBE watts.
    Sounds awesome but is heavy as hell...