Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing an SMT input jack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Is it feasible, and worth the trouble, to replace an input jack that is mounted directly on a circuit board?

(that is, with regular tools and a soldering iron)

2. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Maybe.....

Following is for people who are already good at soldering....i.e. "qualified personnel".

If it is indeed an SMT type, there will probably be some visble solder pads and "feet" on the part around outside. The trick is heating up all of them at once....!

The best way I have found is to assume the removed part will be no good afterwards, and work onn each "foot" at a time. Often if you pop the top off you can pull on the contacts individually (while heating the relevant solder pad), and take it off piecemeal.

You will need a new one ready, so you can put it in and be done before you forget how to re-assemble the thing. (don't laugh....been there).

Anyway, once you have the old one off, you clean the pads with "solder-wick" and then tin them slightly. Don't heat them much or you will peel them up.

Put the new part down, and hold it in position while you heat one of the feet and its pad and solder down with a little fine solder.

When one is solid, check alinement, and if good, go around to the rest.

But if there is a pad hidden under the body, you are basically SOL, you ain't gonna get that right with any sensible equipment you could use. Needs solder paste and reflow equipment.

If you have access to an SMT repair gizmo with the hot air re-soldering etc, its lots easier, but then you wouldn't be asking this.

3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Hmm... looks like it would be pretty frustrating.

Question 2:
    Is it possible to just go in and tighten the connectors on an SMT input jack? It would be good to know before I go to the trouble of pulling out the chassis.

The amp in question is a Peavey Bandit guitar amp.

5. I find that board mounted jacks can be troublesome. I prefer the panel mounted ones. I've replaced a few this way, but you need to make sure you have the room needed, and that the wiring won't be a problem.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Update
    I tried removing the nut that holds the jack on the front panel side and I can jiggle the jack a bit without anything else on the panel moving. Would this indicate that the jack is in fact panel-mounted and not SMT? (crosses fingers)