Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing bass amp speaker questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RollnROCK89i, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RollnROCK89i

RollnROCK89i

Dec 21, 2004
    Hey my friend has a 300 watt amp with 2 15'' speakers. If the speakers have never been changed, are they both 150 watts? Can you put any watt speaker in? Like say he bought two 300 W speakers, would his amp now be a 600 watt amp? Can the amplifier power the speakers if its only 300 watts? Thanks, I don't know much about this stuff.

2. If you put 2 300 watt speakers in the cab it will handle 600 watts.
    If you drive the amp into distortion, it will not matter what wattage cab you have it can damage the speaker.

Gary

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    There are lots of variables here. For a good education, click on the "read this post" link at the bottom of the page.

The head you are talking about puts out 300 watts at either 8 ohms, 4 ohms, or 2 ohms. At other impedances (measured in ohms) it puts out different amounts of watts. Let's pretend that the head puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms. Lets also pretend that the 2x15 you have is a 4ohm cabinet. In that case the head will put out 300 watts into the 2x15, and each 15 will get 150 watts.

What we also don't know is how many watts the 2x15 is rated for. So, let's assume that the cabinet is a 4 ohm cabinet rated for 300 watts. In that case each speaker can handle 150 watts. If you replace the two 15" speakers with two speakers that can handle 300 watts each, (and if you use speakers that are the same impedance as the ones already in it - probably two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel), the cabinet will now be a 4 ohm cabinet rated at 600 watts. However, the head will still only put out 300 watts into that 4 ohm cabinet. The head can still power the cabinet, it just won't power it to its maximum potential.

The other thing to consider is that cabinets are designed for the speakers going into them. Replacing them with different speakers can sound good, ok, or just plain terrible.

read this post