Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing bass knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MisterSkimpy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. MisterSkimpy

MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    Anybody have suggestions for the best way to put a volume/tone knob back on a bass? I've had the volume and tone knobs (the two big ones) of my Fender Jazz come off so I need to put them back on in a way that will keep them from slipping off again. Before I just throw some super-glue on I thought I'd see if anyone else has other/better suggestions...

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    If the shafts are the knurly split vatiety, you can carefully widen the split with a screwdriver.

3. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I had exactly the same problem with my old Westfield. I fixed it by filling the hole with a little bit of PVA glue, and just shoving the knobs on -but I wouldn't try it on thta bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Now, the useful bit:

At Halford the other day, I saw a type of grease that was designed for that exact purpose! I can't remember the name, but it had a fairly obvious title. I'm fairly sure that's what they use to get them on in the first place!

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Fender Jazz pots usually are of the split shaft variety. widen the shaft a bit with a screw driver and put a tiny little piece of cardboard in there. Just enough to fill the space. It will keep the shaft from bending in again and your knobs won't split off. I do this on split shaft knobs, especially when I am using knobs that have a tightenting screw on them.

Good Luck

5. I had that problem on a solid shaft pot. I wrapped some Tommy Tape, a stretchable rubber tape, around the shaft. Now the knob grips it properly.

The cardboard idea sounds good for a split shaft pot.