1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Bass Necks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shazam, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Shazam

Shazam

Feb 20, 2012
    I know that this is a bit of a noob-y question but forgive me because i am a noob when it comes to modifications or what. I have a standard MIM Fender P bass and i don't really like the size of the neck. Would it be cool to buy a neck of a Fender P Bass deluxe and replace my current neck? My main concern is that the strings my not fit on the neck anymore considering the P bass Deluxe supposedly has a J bass neck profile (may or may not be the dumbest question in the world bu tplease bear with me)?

2. Garret Wheeler

Garret Wheeler

Mar 1, 2016
    It shouldn't be a problem to put a Jazz neck on a Precision body. I've got a P bass that I put a J neck on and it feels great. It's actually a very common mod people do.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    I just put a fretless Jazz neck on my P bass. You wont have a problem changing necks as long as they're Fender spec (heel- 2 1/2"; scale length 34").

4. Shazam

Shazam

Feb 20, 2012
    Alright! Thanks for clearing that up up for me.

One more thing, is changing necks just as simple as unscrewing the old neck and screwing onthe new neck?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you use the same string gauge as the new neck is set up for it should be a sinple matter of some minor mechanical tweaks to get it ready to rawk.

6. The Deluxe neck is a 22 fret neck vs the Standard's 20 fret, and so, is that much longer. Determine what else you may have to do to install a longer neck and remain at 34" scale.
    If the scale changes it will never intonate properly.

7. Shazam

Shazam

Feb 20, 2012
    Alright! Thanks. I'll check these out and hopefully everything turns out well.

8. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Are you sure? The MIM deluxe P and deluxe J i owned, both had 20 fret necks with the standard 4 bolts. I bought the deluxe P new so i'm pretty sure it had the right neck on it. I got the deluxe J used so it's possible the neck had been seapped but the bridge was in the same place and intonation went just fine.

As far as that goes, OP can snag up an MIM standard J neck if there is any concern about scale length.

9. Sorry, 21 not 22 fret.
    Here's a quick way to recognize without having to count the frets. Just count the dot markers past the twelfth fret (double dots). Four will be a 21 fret. Three is a 20 fret.
    This way a quick glance will enable recognition.
    Both are 34" scale. On the 21 fret the bridge will be closer to the neck, or the neck pocket is cut further into the body towards the bridge. Either way works and is done on the production models.

10. Shazam

Shazam

Feb 20, 2012

Thanks a bunch! I'll probably go ahead and check whether that Deluxe P Bass neck fits

11. It'll probably fit, but may be impossible to intonate as that neck is made for a Deluxe P body.

12. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    No worries mate. All current production MIM Deluxe and all MIM Standard P and J basses have a 9.5" neck radius, a 34" scale length. They differ in nut width, but otherwise either neck will bolt right up to either body. Putting an MIM J neck on an MIM P body is a fairly common thing, and i've got an older MIM Deluxe J neck i've used on 3 different MIN J bodies. As long as it's not some oddball MIM blast from the past and has 4 neck to body joint screws, it should be a simple enough swap.

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    You are in good company. Duck Dunn was about the first person to do this. I would suggest you look for a used MIM J-neck so you have a better chance that it is made to the same tolerances. This is because even though many Fender and Squier necks are the same "specs," I have found manufacturing tolerances, neck screw misalignments, etc., that make retrofitting a different neck, um, er, interesting. Nothing major, but if you're not used to working on instruments, they can be a frustration.