Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Bridge and Tuners (Compatibility Issues)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scooch, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    I've never really did any modifications so I'm not sure how this all works, I'm looking to change the bridge and tuners on my Yamaha Rbx 170 and I was wondering if all bridges are universal or how will I know which will fit my bass, the specs on the Yamaha site just say it's a vintage style bridge.The tuners I have no information on them.

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricbasses/RBX170/specifications.jsp

2. There are 3rd party bridges and made to fit "specific" instruments, such as the very popular Fender P and J bass series, but chances of finding something like this for your Yamaha might be slim. You could find replacements that would require modification (redrilling, etc..), but many do not want to do this to their instrument.

Tuning machines might be easier, as many manufacturers use the same make/models, such as Gotoh, Schaller, Hipshot. First you would have to figure out which type you have now, then check replacement specs very carefully.

Most bridge manufacturers would have detailed specs, so you could check those against your own bridge's measurements to try to choose one that would work for you.

Mag...

3. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005
    Alright thanks for the response I wasn't very clear on the whole replacement part situation.

4. Why do you want to change the bridge and tuners?

Unless yours are REALLY cheap and/or crappy (ie. falling apart) you're probably better off getting a new bass. (they're not making a really good quality bass and putting really crappy hardware on it) Figure on spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $70 on a bridge and $50 for tuners. That's already over the cost of an SX bass.

Seriously, the type of wood and the method of construction (bolt on neck/set/neck thru) have more of an impact on "tone and sustain" than any vaunted bridge.

Tuning problems are more often than not an improperly cut nut.

If you're just looking for a change... there's better ways to spend your money- unless you're just looking for the experience in tinkering.

5. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    Rarely is a nut a tuning problem. Intonation is, old strings are,
    machine heads are , height of the strings are, wrong pitch is. etc....etc,,,,,A nut(the flat edge of the nut facing the fingerboard is the beginning of the scale) will be a buzzing problem if it is cut too tight but not a tuning problem if it sits right at the beginning of the scale and if the scale is cut
    properly

6. Scooch

Scooch

Mar 11, 2005

Bassically (play on words!) I'm just tinkering around and seeing what I can all change on my bass, not a big deal, I plan on spending 300-400 on the bass total, once thats done I'll have a decent fretless and I'll probably decide if I want a Corvette, Stingray, Stilletto, J or another P.

7. I beg to differ, but the strings will bind in an improperly cut nut. When the strings are under tension, such as playing, the tension can increase on each side of the nut, if the string binds in the nut, the tension is not evened out on both side of the nut, causing a tuning problem. Think of it as doing a bend behind the nut. Have you ever been tuning up and heard a ping or "thok?" That's the string binding in the nut and releasing.

Old strings can cause tuning problems, but are more likely to cause intonation problems. The height of the strings is going to cause intonation problems if the action is too high. A nut that is cut too low will cause buzzing problems.