Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing BW w/ alternate speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Would replacing my black widow w. a differnt speaker sound any better than it does now with the black widow? I want more lows from it and less mids. If I put an Eminence 15 in the BxBW cab, would it work, or would the cab have the wrong tuning freq. and cause phase cancellation etc.
    Also could I replace the speakers in a peavey 2x10 w/ eminence etc.
    Thanks,

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just tried to use Perfect Box 456 to figure this out, but it was a bit to complicated. Maybe I'll try it again some time other than 3:30AM.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It will probably sound lower, but a lot less volume as well. BW's are famous for making lots of mids, and anything will have less mids, making the lows sound louder in comparison. BW's make a LOT of sound for the money so expect the cab to get a lot quieter, even with a decent driver.

Unless they have changed in recent years, the speakers in a 210TX are already Eminence.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Are you sure they are eminence? I thought they were shefield. I actually would kinda like the 15 to be quieter so that would be fine. I just want to make sure that the tuning freq. of the box wouldn't make different speakers not work.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I checked peavey's website the 2x10TVX says 2 10" Sheffield drivers.

6. Probably not. The box is tuned the way it's tuned and changing drivers isn't going to change that. In fact, you could make it worse. The box was designed to match the specs on the stock speakers and the result of changing them would be pretty unpredictable.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I think if you search, you will not be able to identify "Sheffield" as a manufacturer of speakers.

If I have Eminence build me 10,000 speakers, I can sell them as anything I want (including Eminence although most folks don't seem to do that).

Peavey actually manufactures all Black Widow and Scorpion speakers they sell and use, but I believe the rest are from Eminence.

As has been said many times before, there is nothing wrong with Eminence speakers (just like Korean basses); they will build them to any quality standard you are willing to pay for. I have always been happy with Peavey products for the most part.

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Korean basses aren't that great though. Doesn't Sun ,and Fender both use eminence?
    Do companies like SWR, and Ampeg build their own dirvers?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What about the MTD Kingston and Heir, the Spector NS2000/4 & 5, the Conklin Groove Tools GT-7 and BD-7? Just to name a few super high quality Korean made basses.

No, SWR and Ampeg do not make their own drivers. Sunn, Fender, SWR, Ampeg and most other US amplifier manufacturers use Eminence drivers. The SWR Big Ben has a Bag End driver.

Guess who makes drivers for Bag End? That's right, Eminence does.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah your right about those high end basses. When I heard korean, first thing that came to mind was cheap fender knock offs. My mistake. Ok, cool about all the companies using eminence. If they all use eminence though, why are some companies speakers so much better than others? It can't all be the cab.

Also back to the subject on hand. Is it a general conscensus I shouldn't swap speakers? Is there any way to eq the 15 without eqing my other speakers?

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm going to say, take the speaker out of the box, and buy a different box. I think this would be most efficient. Although, there's a lot more tricks to it then just buying a box, there's variables to be considered.

I'm sure Joris, spacegoat, bgavin, (insert other gurus here) could help you a lot more than I could, on this subject, though.

It might just be a better idea to buy a new cabinet?
    I might be willing to even take your 115BXBW off your hands. :)

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Eminence makes stock drivers, you can buy those to put in your cabinets, or, like Bag End and some of the others who use Eminence drivers, you can develop your own design, and after you get it perfected(more or less;)), you can pay them to mass produce your drivers for you. And cabinet design plays a very large part also.

13. Okay, one problem at a time.

As far as replacing the 15 in the BxBW:
    The BxBW cab is listed at HERE as having dimensions of 24.5"W x 26.875"H x 17.25"D. So, take into account .75" of board width, times about 95% (Fudge factor) gives an internal volume of about 5.05 ft3. Screwing around with WinISD, and a Kappa Pro15 is about -3db at ~40hz with a 5.5in cutout (guessing from the picture) and a length of 3.74 inches. Just gotta download the program, and play with it man.

So now we've got a driver in a box that was purchased. What's wrong with the driver that's in the Peavey? If it has some physical problem, then replace it. If not, and you're not happy with it, you should probably just sell it, build your own cab. By just doing this for fun, you'd possibly run a good cabinet, and possibly be out both a new driver and an old cab. Go to www.partsexpress.com and price out a Kappa Pro15 from them. Cab materials would probably run $40 from them, $20 for 4'1"x8'1" board of MDF, $20 in screws, glue, jigsaw blades...etc. This is assuming you already have the tools (Circ saw, Router, Caulking gun, drills, squares...etc.)

So..what's your priority?

14. Doh, forgot to attach file (large slapping noise, followed by wonderment as to why one would harm one's self over just a trivial matter)

[​IMG]

15. The stock cabinet is tuned to 40 Hz per Peavey advertisting literature, and approximately 5 cubic feet as noted above.

Drop in replacements for this box are:
    • Eminence Omega Pro 15
    • Eminence Kappa 15LF
    • Eminence Kilomax Pro 15
    The original Black Widow 1502-4 also falls right into this box/tuning group. Duh.

All of these are down more than -10 dB at 31 Hz.

More lows and less mids would be the Kappa 15LF.

16. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Bgavin. So I can put any of those in without any problem? Yesterday I was using WinISD, and it looked like the kilomax would work, but since I wasn't completely shure of what I was doing I decided not to trust my results. I'm glad to hear I calculated it right! Ok, maybe I'll look into the Kappa 15LF, my only other question then, is how does the volume compare between a BW and the 15LF. I actually think the BW is to loud, and want something less efficient. Kinda strange huh.:eek:
    Thanks for the great advice all,

17. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Also if you guys think a non-eminence 15 would be better thats cool to. I just want something that will sound good and be easy to install. I don't want alot of mids though, that's what my 10s are for.
    Thanks,

P.S. Talk Bass Rocks!

18. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was reading about an eiminence 15lf and it said it is for a 3.9 cubic feet box. Is my box ok? Would I be better of selling my 15, and just building one from scratch? Do any of you who've built cabs before have some good blueprints for a 15? Thanks!

19. Download my spread sheet and check the Drivers tab. It will tell you SPL levels at various frequencies as well as optimum cabinet volumes and tunings. No calculations required.

20. i have an SWR bigfoot (2x12) and it had bag end drivers into it. THen those blew and I switched to Black Widows and that was the worst decision I ever made (except for getting a Kramer Ferrington acoustic bass) I switched to Eminence(kappa 12s) about a month ago and I have never been happier. Great power and tone.