Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Carvin LB70P electronics - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I've got a Carvin LB70P on the way to me. I've heard that the build quality is excellent, but the electronics/pickups are pretty average. Eventually I'd like to replace both the pre and the pups, but I can't afford to do both at the same time. If I were going to replace the pickups or the preamp which would be best? I'm sure that a Bartolini NTMB preamp would work, but the Carvin also has a piezo bridge - how would I replace the Carvin pre with the NTMB?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    First of all, listen to the bass before you decide that you need to change pickups or preamp. Mine sounds really good. Other people's opinions are just that - opinions. You might like it like it is, going by "I've heard" is a mistake. Different people have different ideas about what sounds good, for instance some people like the sound of EMG pickups, other people think they are cold sounding. Some like Barts, others think they are too mellow. It doesn't mean that either one are bad, just that they are what some poeple like. Carvin are the same way, but for some reason instead of just saying "they aren't the sound I like" it has almost become a sport to say "Carvin pickups suck". Don't fall for it, use YOUR own ears.

If you do decide to change it the Bartolini preamps sound great.

3. Thanks for the advice! It's easy to go with what others say here because I know I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm trading my MIA Jazz with a J-retro for this Carvin, and a lot of guys here on TB would tell me I'm crazy. I found that Jazz Bass wasn't my sound. I know I'll be able to have that sound with the Carvin, but I'll be able to have MM sound and the piezo as well, so I'm getting more variety. I'll listen and give the electronics/pickups a shot - it might be just the sound I'm looking for. What do you like about the sound of your Carvin?

4. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    PM sent....

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Mine doesn't have the MM pickup, it has 2 J99s. It sounds very smooth and punchy, and cuts through the mix of a loud band very well. I get a lot of compliments, even from other band members. If I use just the neck pickup it has a very nice growl.

Carvin pickups aren't for everyone (obviously), but they don't suck. It is just a matter of whether it is the sound you want.