Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing chips in the paint

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by reveille_509, Oct 20, 2000.

1. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    When I chip the paint on my first bass (its a Squier so I dont really care) I usually just put a sticker over it and end of story. But if I were to ever chip the paint off my Jackson I would be furious. I just want to know how to replace the chips in the paint. If there is a way.

2. In furniture factorys chips are filled in with a material that comes in a stick form. A hot flat blade called a burn in knife is used to melt the material in the stick and plaster it on the chip or hole. This is a job for a craftsman don't try it without a lot of practice.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    most bass/guitar players think of chips,scratches,dings as character marks on their axes...wear them with pride, it means you and it has been somewhere. Hell Fender sells guitars that have been scuffed up at the factory for extra bucks

4. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Yeah, I like the Fender Relics and the kind of scars and scrapes your talkin about look cool. but the ones im talkin about are stupid little holes in the paint, Its just the wood color popping out of a red bass.
    becuase I only buy red basses.

5. Know what you mean...I have 2 black basses and nothing looks worse than light colored dings showing through. I have a solution that you could use though. I have in my case a bottle of black fingernail polish. When I put a dinger on the body, I just float in a little polish to cover and protect it. It dries quickly and with a high gloss. You practically can't see the repair and it's real CHEAP!!

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you have kids around the house, try a similar colored crayon. A funny story about the fender relics. i traded a guitar player friend of mine a couple of monitors for a fender tele that looked like it have been thrown out the window of a car traveling on a gravel road at 80 mph. a year later I tok it to a guitar show hoping I could trade it for something, anything. I walked away with a brand new Guild Jumbo. Weird huh?