Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing cones on a Hartke 410XL enclosure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RoosterRusek, Apr 23, 2003.

1. RoosterRusek

RoosterRusek

Dec 13, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hello fellow low-enders...

I have a Hartke 410XL cabinet and the speakers are blowing out one by one due to me trying to pump too much power through them. I was thinking of replacing the cones with 4 Carvin PS10 speakers, therby increasing the power handling, or something of the like.

Has anyone done this or something similar? I know that speakers and their housings are "tuned" to each other, but I am hoping that I will not have to be using my old 410XL enclosure to just store things on.

Thanks

Paul

2. If you are blowing the driver in your Hartke, there is no guarantee that you won't do the same thing with the Carvin speakers. I'd say that for whatever reason, 4x10's just arn't enough for what you're playing. You probably need 2x4x10 cabs to do what you are trying to do. I'd replace the blown Hartke drivers with new Hartke speakers and then sell the cab and get something that will do the job. Putting Carvin drivers into a Hartke cab is a crap shoot at best.

3. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I blew out all mine in an XL as well and I was well within the power handling,had them reconed and sold it.I would'nt buy Hartke again,nice sound but those speakers don't last.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Greybeard's right - you need more speakers. Put a 15 under it, or another 4x10.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to use two Hartke cabs, for several years. I consistently had problems with the center dustcovers coming partially unglued, which created a buzzing sound as if they were blown. This happened one speaker at a time.

I sold them because I was tired of dealing with their lack of quality issues. I went Aguilar, and never looked back.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    sounds like youre asking the speakers to do more than what theyre designed for. I would agree with the suggestion to recone the cab, sell it, and find something that suits you better. Replacing speakers with a different brand is yes, a crapshoot at best. Different drivers work differently in different sized and ported boxes. And just so were clear, I would think that the carvin PS10s would be a step down from your hartke drivers. I have a carvin 210 cab and the PS10s really suck.