1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Control Plate & Knobs on Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jazzbrew, Oct 22, 2013.

1. I am thinking of replacing the chrome control plate and knobs on my Squier jazz bass with black control/plate and knobs. I found the parts on Best Bass Parts but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to swap out? I don't want to screw anything up.

Not sure if it matters but one of my knobs is stacked (had the pickups upgraded to Barts and had a OBP-2 Aguilar preamp installed a few months ago).

Thanks all!

2. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Not a difficult job at all. Best if you have the correct deep socket to loosen the controls from the control plate, using pliers will likely get you a scratched plate. Just keep note of the orientation of the controls on the backside of the plate. If you put the controls on with them clocked wrong, the new assembly may not fit back on the bass. Put a layer of tape on the tip end of your socket and you won't have to worry about scratching your new control plate.

Best to do your own work on your instruments whenever possible, you'll have a better understanding of exactly what is going on whenever you have issues with your bass.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If you have to use pliers, put a rag in between the pliers and the nut you are tightening or loosening. This will help you avoid scratches.