Replacing DB410 with lighter 212 cab - Aguilar or Schroeder???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Aug 30, 2009.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been the happy owner of an Aguilar DB410 and DB112 for a while now. From about a year ago I starred to prefer the tone of the 12" speaker than the 410 cab. I even recorded my bands album with the 112 last month.

That has led me to think of selling my DB410 and getting a DB212 (dont want another 112 so let's forget that option) to meet my taste for a medium-sized cab and the 12" tone that has grown on me.

The DB212 being 30lbs lighter than the DB410 is also a huge plus.
    I play in a new band w/o any roadies like in my past band. I'm not liking having to carry the 410, plus I live on a 2nd floor and have had some back problems.

After a couple of hours of reading and searching TB, Schroeder BMF cabs have gotten my attention. It seems that Schroeder cabs are loud and mid present just like I find the Aguilar Dbs to be. The Schoeder 212BMF really seems like a winner on paper. Vertical staking which I like a lot and only 38lbs!!!!! Incredible!

So, if I adore the Aguilar DB sound, will I like the Schoeder BMFs????
    I almost completely sure I will eventually sell my DB410 for a 212 cab and the DB212 was my obvious choice since I own only Aguilar gear and I love their products, sound and service.

But this 212BMF seems like it could be what I'm looking for or even more than that. Even crazier is their 412 being 65lbs!!!

I searched TB for hours and read a lot of posts so any help, info or opinions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Thombas

Thombas Guest

Apr 28, 2009
    Hey Afroman,
    frankly I have no hand on experience with the DB cabs, but from what I know, they're supposed to be more mid-present than the GS series. If that's what you like, my guess is the BMF1212 would do the job for you. I got mine last week, and played two gigs with it this weekend - I've posted e review here earlier today. It's definitely loud, mid present and an easy haul, which are some of your keywords. With the amp and basses I use, I get a warm, growly, present/tight tone - which is what I like.
    GOOD LUCK!

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Read your review, thanks!!
    Might I ask aprox. how much did you pay for it?

4. Thombas

Thombas Guest

Apr 28, 2009
    SURE! They currently go for the same as the 1212L, which is around USD820 I'm told.
    I live in Europe, so I had to add a couple 100 to USPS, some more for tax, but that's another story.

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks!
    Im in Puerto Rico in the Caribbean so I would probably pay as much for shipping as you did.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    anyone else?

help

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :meh::meh:

8. The BMF cabs are relatively new, so not many have tried them. I had a DB112 x 2 stack that I really liked (too darn heavy and cumbersome though), and I have a 115L+, which even though it's not listed as a BMF, it is (i.e., it doesn't have a baffle mounted driver).

The simplest way to put it is I hear the DB cabs as having a slight 'W' voicing... big low end, a slight dip in the lower mids, a bit of a mid mid peak, a dip in the upper mids, and then a nice airy tweeter. It's a very 'shallow' W to my ear, so the cabs sound quite even and very good to me.

The Schroeder BMF 212, which I've heard is in the same tone universe as my 115L+ is a bit more of a slight 'frowny face' vocing ... less deep low end extension, a relatively even mid response from the low mids through the upper mids, and then a touch 'polite' up in the sizzle area of the upper treble.

I really like that tight, mid even voicing, and it results in these cabs to sound REALLY loud for their size and weight. They can also handle some EQ, so just boosting a shelving bass control a touch usually gets you where you need to go.

If you like a punchy, tight tone... articulate, tight, a bit grindy up top, the 212BMF should work very well. If you are one that, for example, engages an enhance our contour control regularly to 'smooth out your sound' with other cabs... probably not so much.

IMO, and again, based on the Schroeder 115L+, not the 212.

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for that reply.
    I know what to expect from the DB212. I am just curious about the Schroeders vertical layout and super light weight.

I'll have to think about it. The Aguilar would be a sure thing, while i would be buying the Schroder sight unseen.

10. DB212 is 70 pounds. That's some weight savings (28 pounds), but IMO not enough to 'trade down' from your DB410.

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know but I really prefer the sound of my Db112 than the Db410. That's why I was thinking of changing it for a DB212.
    Also, 30lbs less is 30lbs less.

12. Oh, man... if you have a DB112 (GREAT cab)... just get a second one and be done with it. That's a great stack, and I believe it's (2 x db112) a bit more forceful and deep than the DB212 (more internal volume, etc.). Get a good cart and be happy:bassist:

13. I nearly had the same scenario as you!

In the end, I traded my Ampeg 810E for 2 DB212s....because I loved the DB112 x 2 stack, but I wanted cabs with casters.

The DB212s are fabulous, aggressive, fat and awesome! They just did it for me, whereas the DB410 was still awesome, but I prefered the 12s.

They aren't that heavy really....compared to my Orange OBC410 (98lbs ish) they are much easier to schelp....plus the casters help.

I went with the DB212 + DB212 so I can play mega loud gigs, plus one of my Amps, the Orange AD200b, is 200 Tube watts loud no matter what cab combination I use, (obv more audible with the 2 cabs).

The Choc Thunder looks really impressive. Get covers though, (same as 4x10 DB size I think).

Cheers

Gareth

14. Kinda have to agree with this if you already have one DB112...but depends.

I found the DB212 to be more punchy, but very similar. My store owner uses DB212s and recommended them for what I was doing.

Cheers

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know the obvious reason would be to just get another Db112 and be done with it. But I really prefer wheeling a medium cab and having a smaller one for small venues than having to carry 2 small cabs.

The DB212 is 70lbs, while the DB112 pair would be 84lbs.
    I already have a DB410 (w. cover) and while I love it, everytime I gig in small venues and record I do so with the Db112. I feel thant the 410 has more extended lows and highs but the 12" has a beefier low mid and smoother top end IMO.

I'm pretty much set into changing my DB410 and getting a 212 cab. Aguilar is my first choice since I know and love their gear.
    The BFM212 and even those GB Uber 212s are really interesting and seem to get a lot of love here in TB for their sound and lighter weight.

Oh , why are we bassists so indecisive...:rollno:
    Thanks for the replies.

PS. Your new rig would be my fav. A pair of DB212s. Mayhem!!!

16. +1 The DB212 is a bit more mid oriented and a bit tigher in the low end, I assume do to less internal volume (I think) than the DB112's. All good stuff IMO!

17. Only thing I find is that Neo cabs sometime just cannot grunt like a ceramic. At the moment, thats just how it is. Some of them nearly get there, but those Aggie 12s are lovely.

I nearly ordered two DB112s as wel as my DB212 x 2 stack! But, I dont see the point now....ad the DB212 plus casters isnt that bad. I think if I get two 1x12s itll be Berg just for some sonic differences. I do love Aguilar also!

18. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Still debating this...

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd call Don from LDS and see what he can do. I know he can make 212s a LOT lighter than the DB series that are competitive tone-wise. :)

20. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hmmmm another great option.
    Thanks!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021