Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Eden 10" coax speaker with BETA 10CX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Jun 3, 2003.

1. I need to replace a defective speaker in my Eden CXM-110. So far Eden customer service has been totatally non-responsive, so I'm starting to look elsewhere. What do you folks think of the Eminence Beta 10CX with the either the APT-50 horn or the Adire ACD1 horn?

--joe

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Have you looked into getting it reconed?

Also, I had to have both speakers in my 212XLT replaced. It did take a long time to get a response to my e-mails (this was right about the time that Washburn first announced its takeover), but Dave Nordshaw himself did eventually respond to me and made everything right.

Tom.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Gee...I just needed to have an Eden 10 speaker reconed...I called US Music Corp...they gave me an RA# and had me send it to the old Eden plant...$65 for recone with a 2 week turnaround time...if they're true to their word, I should have the speaker back next week.

There's a world of difference between a humble Eminence Beta and an Eden speaker...go for the recone!

Tornadobass

4. Ok - you convinced me not to "downgrade" to the BETA - I'll give 'em one more chance.

My speaker isn't totally dead - just makes bad sounds around 50HZ - so I installed a NP capacitor to keep the lows out of it (I use an Acme for my lows), and it's holding up for my highs so far.

I can't send it in to get it reconed, because I don't have a backup, and I gig with it every weekend.

So, anyhow, I'll call them again and see about getting a replacement.

I'll let y'all know how it went.

--joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do the speakers really have to go back to the factory? Surely there are authorised re-coners dotted around the country that can do it quicker. I know that the Eden re-cones in Australia can be done by the local speaker hospital.

6. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    No, doesn't need to go to the factory. The cab under discussion is a coax, though...maybe a little more specialized job.

I just wanted mine to go through the factory...but lots of other companies could recone a regular speaker, maybe even at a lower price.

Certainly, if I lived in Australia, shipping to the Eden factory would be prohibitive. I'm close enough that it cost about $8 to ship to them.

Tornadobass

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I was under the impression he was thinking of buying coax speaker as replacements, but the drivers needing re-coning were standard edens?

8. Yes, it's a coax driver in the CXM-110. The horn is screwed into the back of the woofer.
    --joe

9. Ok - I called Eden Customer Service, and to my amazement the customer service manager I originally spoke to is NO LONGER WITH THE COMPANY. The guy I spoke to this time was aware of my dilema, and shipped out a replacement speaker THE SAME DAY!!! (This is after fighting with them for 3 months, however). He did want to charge me $200 for the speaker, but I told him that I was already quoted $150 for it, so he said "OK".

Thanks again for steering me away from a crummy replacement.

--joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/

10. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Good luck!

BTW, do you recall the names of the people you spoke with?