Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing Eden WT-800 with Ampeg SVT 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Jul 15, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Is this taking a step back?

I have tried some Ampeg gear lately, and I love the way it sounds. So I'm thinking of changing from Eden to Ampeg... but I guess people would say that's a weird thing to do.. ? :confused:

Greetings from Norway :)

-Hoel

2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Greetings to Norway! I had a holliday once there. Beautifull country and very friendly people. I loved gleicer(sp?) walking.

Anyways, I think you should do what sounds best to you. If you found out now you like the Ampeg sound more than the Eden sound, go for it. There's nothing wrong with either.

3. you should think about the svt 4, the svt 3 sounds aswome but it lacks power. unless you don't need that much power then go for it. or you can get and svp pro- the preamp of the svt 3 and get a separate power amp.

4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    it's definately a weird thing to do. the 800 is a beautiful thing. i have the 400 (pretty damn happy too). i played the svt 3 pro and it sounded nice, but nowhere near the eden. i found that the ampeg gives u a 'certain' sound, while eden gives u 'every' sound.

5. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    I chose the SVT4-Pro over the Eden. Tough choice, but the extra power from the Ampeg clinched the deal.

Not a step down, back, or anywhere. Just different. Like picking a BMW over a Mercedes.

Where are you in Norway, by the way? I've some friends in Trondheim.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i dont think going from Eden to Ampeg is teh weird thing, because you'd be changing based on sound preference.....maybe the weird thing is going downwards at the same time of changing brands.

but if the svt3pro has enough power why not. the svt4pro would be more of an even change

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. It's taking a step back over a precipice into the abyss. Other than that, it's cool.

8. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    "It's taking a step back over a precipice into the abyss."

Explain that Munjibunga?

So you guys are afraid it won't be loud enough? I borrowed a Ampeg B15 that I liked, but that was NOT loud enough (I think it's 100 tubewatts)

How is a SVT Pro 4 compared to an all tubed vintage-SVT? I understand the tubes makes a difference, but will I still get that nice ampeg growl? :)

Thanks for answers! :bassist:

BCinU: I'm in Oppdal. It's not far from Trondheim... approx. 120km.

-Hoel

9. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Hm, I can see the SVT 4 Pro and SVT 5 Pro has the same price, and different specs.. which of them would you choose?

I do country-rock, blues, funk, soul... you name it. The amp I'm buying must be a good allround-amp :)

The SVT 5 Pro has a distortion channel; I find that very interesting...

I guess both amps should be an OK combination with my 210T cabs?

10. Why not the SVT-2 PRO? :D
    Anyway, to keep the price a bit lower, an SVT-3PRO is a good amp, I don't think you can go wrong with it. But make sure to try out the SVP-PRO and SVP-CL. Both really nice pre-amps, mix that with a qsc power amp, and you'll get some awesome sound, + more than enough power

11. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Because the SVT 2 Pro weighs twice as much and costs twice as much :)

-hoel

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Weight:

WT800 = 26lbs.
    SVT3 Pro = 26lbs.
    SVT4 Pro = 42lbs!

OUCH. I had a GK2001RB (40lbs) that I used to dread taking to shows, and then I got a deal from Eden and switched. The first gig I did with the Eden, I (my back) was extremely happy to not have lift that freakin rack up to put in on my cab. Unless your into powerlifting take it into consideration.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sure. It'd be a mistake.

14. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Well said Munji.

I have owned an Ampeg SVT 3 and 4 pro. I now own an Eden Navigator pre-amp. While you can get Ampeg "growl" out of of them(Ampeg amps), that is about all you can do with them. The SVT 3 is not very loud for a 450 watt amp, and the SVT 4's pre-amp is not very loud.If you bypass the pre, and use the power section only, then yes it is loud. I ran an SVP pro pre-amp through it, and then, it was very loud, but pointless.

The Eden will let you dial in any tone you would ever want. I would never think of trading my Navigator for anything,especially an Ampeg. Keep the Eden, you won't regret it.

15. BCinU

BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    Florida
    I'm quite pleased with the variety of tones the SVT4 can generate.

And it goes up to 11. ;)

16. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I was too. I upgraded from a Hartke 3500 to a SVT3 pro, then to a SVT 4. Needless to say, I loved the 4 pro. Then I bought the Eden Navigator. I never realized how much you could really shape your tone, but it can be done.

IMO, the Ampeg can not even come close to the versatility of the Eden.Every note is much clearer and defined.I am not saying that Ampeg is bad, just not as good as Eden.

As for the Ampeg going to 11, I never found that on mine.Are you sure the volume knob is not broken and just turns all the way around back to "1". ;) :D

17. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have both the 4 Pro and an Eden Navigator/Crest CA-9 rig and I like them both. I mostly use the 4 Pro at the moment but I have been able to get great tone from both.