1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Electronics in ABG

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beginner Bass, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I got an ABG few weeks ago, and now that I have a bag for it, I'm trying to think how to give it a better sound, starting with the strings (Terribly noisy things they are), so I figured that next in the chain would be the electronics. But I was wondering how easy it would be to retrofit after-market electronics, as I wanted to replace the passive electronics with an active system, to get more control over my tone, and a bit more output. Frankly though, this is truly foreign territory for me.

So my question is: how much would I have to do to retrofit the electronics, and (the bigger question) how much would it cost?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Much of the tone of an ABG is in the body. Many of them are too small to have decent bottom end. Electronics will give you a little bit of control, but you can't really create tone that isn't there.

Does the instrument sound good when played acoustically, or is it lacking in bottom end?

3. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    Yes, it does. The body is huge.

4. Rick Auricchio

My Dave Maize ABG has the Highlander pickup system, which is a little length of special coax cable that sits under the bridge saddle. There are no controls, however; it's straight through the preamp to the output jack. I adjust at the amp if necessary.

Drilling holes in an ABG sounds difficult; you have to avoid any braces. I don't know if I'd want to try drilling through curved wood, like on the sides of the instrument.

5. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    I was hoping I could use the cavity where the electronics already are, as there are screws I could use to put something new in there. I was hoping it was a more standard procedure.

6. Rick Auricchio

The difficulty depends on how the controls are currently mounted, I suppose. Some ABGs have all the electronics and controls in a single "block" cut out, like the Ovation electronics. Others might be more conventional knobs-in-holes, like a solid-body bass.

7. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    It's a block.