Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacing EMGs for Dimarzio

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassboysam, Sep 21, 2005.

1. I am replacing my active EMG PUs for passive Dimarzios on my P-Bass, does this mean i need new volume and tone pots or can I use the same ones that came with the EMGs?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    replace them with 250K or 500K pots, and don't forget you now need to ground your bridge. Chances are it wasn't grounded with the EMG setup

3. What is the diffrence between using 500k or 250k pots?

4. A general question. I have a Hamer USA Crusie bass that has Dimarzo Ultra Jazzs in them, had to get it rewired after I got it used.
    It had active EMGs orginaly. It has a slight high noise :meh: ground prblem that's really noticeable when I play live, mostly just through my onstage amp, when I go direct it seems not the be there.

I noticed there is no ground to the bridge, should I have the same tech that did the rewire for me do the ground work?

5. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Prepare yourself to pass from quiet to a really boring buzz from the Di Marzio...

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    One thing I absolutely love and can count on from EMG (active pickups especially) is absolutely no hum even playing in a flourescent light shop.

-Eric.

7. So, :confused: the Ultra Jazz may have some noise. They are humm-canex, two seprate coils per pickup, thought that would make them quiter.

I have Duncan Vintages in my other Hamer USA Cruise that I just love. :ninja: Should I E-bay the Ultra Jazz and then get some Duncans??

Dave,
    looking for the right pup.

8. The EMGs didn't need a ground to the bridge but they are about the only pickups that don't.Your Ultra Jazzes do need the bridge grounded.I'm running into the same thing with my old Guild Pilot with EMGs that I'm replacing with Ultra Jazzes,there isn't even a hole drilled to the bridge.Maybe thats all you need to do for the noise.

9. There is a hole that looks like it goes to the bridge, no wire in it at the moment. I just didn't want to take the whole 2-tek bridge out and risk messing with the intonation, but I guess I'll have too.

I'm not too good at electronic mods, but this should be easy.
    Just run the ground wire to the output jack through the hole and soder it to the bridge. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about shielding, I know after I do this and see how it sounds.