1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacing Factory Ibanez Pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sanjay Collins, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Sanjay Collins

Sanjay Collins

Aug 1, 2012
    Hey, all. I just bought my sixth bass, it's an Ibanez GIO GSR206, my first sixer. I don't like the sound of the factory pickups so I was wondering what you guys would think would be the best replacements to go along with my Ampeg setup. I do often use a lot of effects and distortion as well and I use heavy gauged stainless steel roundwounds. I play mostly Mudvayne, Rush, Primus style bass.

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Bartolini, SGD, and Delano should all make great pickups that will fit.

You will also want to replace the preamp, so look at Aguilar or Audere.

3. Sanjay Collins

Sanjay Collins

Aug 1, 2012
    I should still replace the preamp with active pickups?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I personally wouldn't use active pickups. If you want active pickups, that pretty much means EMG, and I have not had a lot of luck with EMG's working well with distortion pedals.

I would upgrade the preamp, chances are if the pickups are not up to stuff then the preamp isn't either. In fact, the preamp could be the whole problem.

5. Sanjay Collins

Sanjay Collins

Aug 1, 2012
    Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading today and that's what most people have been saying is that the pickups are fine but the preamp is weak on this bass. One guy said he upgraded to a Seymour Duncan 3-band preamp and it was a world of difference, but also doesnt use effects. So I was thinking of trying the Aguilar 3-band preamp.

6. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I just threw a bart ntmb in my sr505.....SOOOO much better with just the mk-1 pickups....the American barts would put it over the top I'm sure

7. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    +1 Delano