Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing factory strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GreenMachine, Sep 17, 2005.

1. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    Hey. ive just got a set of facotry strings on my bass and have finally decided to buy some new ones. I dont know anything about strings except some are stainless and some are nickle. i had to replace the E string like in the first week and i got a '102' or something like that. Could someone explain what that ment and what kinda strings i should get. something cheap preferbally. i dunno of playing style or antyhing has to do with it either. thanks guys

(i atempted to rad the FAQ but it lead to the dreaded 'cannot find page')

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    102 meant .102 and that is the guage of the string. .095 to .110 are typical for an E string.

some are round, some are flat, some were round but ground flat, others were round but were squished kinda flat.

Nickel, Stainless Phosphorus and plastic tape are normal materials. to completely generalize Rounds of these:
    Nickel = warm and smooth to the
    Stainless = brighter and rough
    Phosphorus = acoustic bass guitar strings
    plastic tape = (actually a flatwound) organic, Upright bass tone

Nickel Roundwounds are pretty standard issue on new basses. .045 - .065 - .080 - .100 being the typical standard 4 string set.

If you are in the states, Carvin and Musicians Friend both have inexpensive house brands.

If you are going to a store... D'Addario, SIT, Ernie Ball, GHS, DR are all going to be similarly priced (at least they have been as I've seen). If you are outside the states, other brands might be cheaper. I'd just ask for a standard set of roundwounds. When I started I went through dozens of sets from every maker / type I could find.... ended up Stainless Roundwounds have been what I've used through most of my 25 years at bassin' (lately I've grown fond of nickel groundwounds too).

Do yourself a favor, save the package / write down the specs... take a note about your impression of the string when new and after a week or so of use. I know I didn't at first... ended up buying strings I didn't like over again because I got confused while buying them :-/

3. I would guess that you have roundwound strings, because that is the most common. Some are stainless steel and some are nickel (with a stainless steel core). Nickel is newer and in like the 70s all strings were stainless steel. Nickel is however a softer metal so it is easier on your fingers and frets, but it does not sound as 'bright'. "102" would be the guage, or the thickness, of the string, that is .102 inches (correct me if I am wrong, I am used to the metric system but that seems about right :meh: ). Anyway, I have never seen gauge 102 so you probably got 105. That is considered medium gauge. Therefore, buy roundwound strings, nickel or stainless steel, in medium gauges, that is 45-65-85-105 or 45-65-80-105. Get one of the cheaper sets at your local music store and see how you like them. There, I think I have explained it pretty well. :)

4. I type too slow...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I just had a head start ;)

6. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Just bought rather cheap D'Addario .040 nickel rounds... Awesome!

7. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    yea thanks i kinda get it now. well i know a bitmore :). so it doesnt matter what type of music u play or if u play with your fingers or a pick?

8. If you are going to slap you must have roundwounds. Other than that I say go with medium gauge this time and then next time you know if you want thinner or thicker strings.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Generally yes, that is the case.... personally I dig slapping on flats

10. GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Apr 30, 2005
    oh ok cool thanks for telling me. Im a picker tho :) but still nice to know.