1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacing fans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by william curl, Aug 18, 2012.

  1. william curl

    william curl

    Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    I have a old peavey T-max head with a real loud fan. can these be replaced with a different type thats not so loud.if so would it need to be sent back to peavey or is this a pretty easy fix.
  2. mech

    mech Supporting Member

    Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    This should be an easy fix but needs to be done with safety in mind. When you remove the top, the fan should be easily accessible.

    Be sure the amp is not plugged into the wall socket while doing the replacement!

    The USA model uses a 115-120VAC fan and I think the airflow was rated at 15 or 20 CFM (Cubic Feet/Minute). It's very important that the new fan has the same CFM rating and is installed where the air flow is to the inside of the amp. The direction of airflow is normally marked with an arrow on the frame of the fan. I would call the Peavey Service Center and see if an exact replacement is available. Ph: 601-483-5365 and ask for service. The original fan used self tapping screws that threaded into the mounting holes in the fan. If the replacement fan holes are not the correct size or if the frame is plastic, you will need to use nuts and bolts with locking hardware for mounting. If you have to splice the wires be sure to properly insulate the splices and dress the wires as they were done at the factory. Take pics to be sure the wires are where they should be.

    120VAC in the wrong place will destroy the amp at best or will kill you dead at the worst.

    If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself it shouldn't take a decent tech over 20 minutes to complete the job.

    Excellent amp, BTW. I use one with my mid sized rig.

  3. will33


    May 22, 2006
    Fan is a pretty easy replacement. Some mounting bolts or screws and 2 wires.

    Can get one from mouser or other electrical supply place.

    You're looking for the same size/shape as yours. Usually given in millimeters, like 320x320 for example. Not that that's your actual size.

    Look for the at least the same CFM. Little higher won't hurt but you need at least the same airflow as yours.

    New fans also have a decibel rating. The lower the number, the quieter they run.

    Also the power they need to run. Some run on 120V AC, wired straight from the wall pkug connections in the amp. Other are made to run on a 12v or 15v DC, like comes from after the amps power supply, so check that.

    Mines pretfy noisy too, but I haven't changed it. Can't hear it while you're playing, but it does sound like you're winding up something serious when you first turn the amp on.

    T-max.....real nice amps.
  4. mech

    mech Supporting Member

    Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Believe me, the fan for the USA T-Max is 120VAC and is measured in inches. It is not wired straight to the wall socket. Do not get a DC fan as there is no power supply provision for it. I've seen the insides of plenty of T-maxs but that was a while ago. Measure the mounting screw pattern before you buy. It is in inches. I think the mounting screw pattern is 3 1/8" square and the holes in the chassis are 3/16" dia.

  5. will33


    May 22, 2006
    Yeah, T-max is old enough stuff probably is in inches, just don't know if new ones are still spec'd like that.

    Haven't seen the inside of mine since last year.

    And no, you don't wire it straight to the wall plug, it'll have a connection inside, just that it runs on 120.

    Getting one from Peavey would be simple, but you may be able to find a quieter running fan elsewhere.

Share This Page