Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacing "Fartke" speaker in my XL115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumpinthenight, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Thumpinthenight

Thumpinthenight

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    My Hartke XL115 is rattling and farting in lo B and E now. I pulled the speaker out and can't seem to see anything loose, cracked, or noisy when pushing in and out. The cab is 2 1/2 yrs old and I'm wondering if it is worth getting a better 15" or staying with the O.R. I guess that would depend on cost. I currently use another Hartke XL410 with a Carvin 1500 amp & Ampeg SVP-Pre. any thoughts?? :meh:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hartke's aluminum's are notorious for having the center dust cover become slightly unglued, making the sound you describe. I've had many fail on me that way before I abandoned Hartke. Check for it. Its a cheap, cheap, and easy fix. A local tech unglued and reglued mine for $7 a cone, good as new in a matter of minutes.

However, if the voice coil is fried, replacing the speaker through Hartke is a pain, and too expensive to justify. Either find a paper cone 15 with compatible t/s parameters, or just throw the cab away, IMO.