Replacing Fender Jazz Deluxe Pre-Amp and/or Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Knavery, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Hey all -
    I bought a Fender American Jazz Deluxe V fairly recently. After playing for some time, I feel the sound is a bit flat with the active electronics on. Or put a better way, stale.

I'm thinking of putting a nicer pre-amp to give it that extra oomph. However, I know absolutely nothing about aftermarket bass components.

Would I need to replace both the pickups and pre-amp to get more out of the bass? Also, what would you recommend for someone that plays mostly rock, funk, and metal? I like a nice warm sound when I'm running around the neck, but I also like to get it nice and punchy at times as well.

Thanks!

2. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I agree, not a fan of the fender pre-amp.. had it changed out on my Custom Classic IV.. went with a Aguilar (forget the model).. had it installed at Portland Fretworks.. but I kept the Jaco custom shop pickups... it's got a lot better tone now...

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    With a jazz, you can't beat the East J-Retro or the Audere.

The J-Retro will at some pizazz and color to the tone, the Audere will retain the pure passive jazz tone while adding some tone shaping. Both are excellent and direct drop-ins....

4. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks guys. Would the pre-amp be enough or would pick-ups also need to be replaced.

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

What year is your ADJV? Do you have the SCN pups or the N3?

6. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    It's a 2013--got it a few months back. I have the N3 pups.

7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I would suggest trying some new pups first. Nordstrand or Aguilar, perhaps. I like the Fender preamp, but having said that, I put a drop in Sadowsky preamp in my 2008 ADJV.

8. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    Thanks for the suggestions. I might also try a pre-amp pedal as well to see if that makes a difference. I know it's not as convenient as having the controls on your bass, but it's a LOT less money. I may just head to GC and try a couple. It's always fun to check out new toys. :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021