1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing Fender Precision Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Howdy,

Last year I bought a 57 Reissue Fender Precision. While it sounds awesome with the flats I have on it, I think the bridge on it is terrible. It intonates fine, but there is horrible buzzing coming from the bridge.

Originally the bridge buzzed when I hit the G string, then it fixed itself or I fixed it by tightening the bridge plate screws. I don't honestly remember.

Occasionally the buzzing would come back before stopping, and returning to normal. Now the D and G strings are both buzzing when I hit them. The buzzing is coming from the bridge, and not the frets, or an improper setup. (At least I shouldn't think so)

So I'm looking to replace the bridge. I'm looking for a replacement bass bridge that isn't a BadAss bridge (I don't like them at all) I'm looking for a vintage styled bridge preferably one that fits underneath the bridge cover (if not no biggie)

So recommend me some choices. :)

2. well the buzzing are probably coming from the springs, get longer springs and you will probably be fine.

If not: popular choices Hipshot vintage bent plate or gotoh 201 are direct replacements. There is also a gotoh standard which is harder to find than the 201, but does look more vintage, yet solid!

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yea check the springs that is a good bridge on the bass. You could go for an Fender deluxe bridge for about $60.00 drops on real heavy duty too.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So the springs on the bass on the problem? If I replace them, instead of getting a whole new bridge, would that permanently eliminate the problem?

Or would getting the hipshot be an upgrade?

5. probably, unless something else is rattling.

I like the Hipshot Vintage, just ordered one for the bass that I am building, here is why: little grooves under the saddle height adjustments prevent side to side movement, quick release design allows me to change strings quickly.

so it is an improvement in some aspects, the only bridges that I keep stock on my Fenders are the american standard and deluxe ones, they are like the hipshots minus the quick release

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm guessing bridge construction technology has increased in the past 50 years, so I guess I'll be ordering the hipshot vintage today.

:)

7. ExD

ExD

Mar 8, 2007
    Australia
    my old bass had a buzzing spring once in the bridge, so i wedged a tiny piece of plastic in between and it worked fine