1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Replacing Fender Rumble 500 speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RossBE, Jul 20, 2019.

1. RossBE

RossBE

Jul 20, 2019
    Hi - first time poster - could anyone tell me what is the exact speaker I need to replace my split speaker in my Fender Rumble 500? Even better a link to where to buy in the UK?

Have been looking online myself and cannot find. Also I am just not good at this sort of thing and would very likely buy the wrong one!!

Thanks In advance

PS - where is the fender rumble forum on here?!

Linnin likes this.
  2. I’d recommend calling Fender.

AstroSonic and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. i don't think that you should get it re-coned. That will cost more than a replacement speaker.
    Measure the speaker diameter it will be either be 10", 12" or 15". I suspect its at least a 15" but double check that size. Go online and see what replacement speakers cost in your area and buy one.
    i would suggest getting a neodynium speaker because it will weigh less and sound great.
    Put it in yourself- carefully take out the old speaker and install the new one.
    Get help if you are not good with tools. You will save a shop charge,
    Final word - turn down the bass on your amp. Run it flat and your speaker will last longer.
    Good luck with it.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

If you prefer a replacement in-kind, as @Plastalmonus says, your nearest Fender Authorized Service Center is the way to go. Depending on your warranty situation, or local consumer protection regulations, it may, or may not even cost you anything.

There are several threads about "upgrading" stock speakers with other-than-stock, but there can be technical considerations, such as port re-tuning, and even math, involved with no guarantee of satisfactory results. If you're not interested in pursuing that, as @chris_b says, you could look into having the split speaker repaired.

Why, here is The Fender Rumble Club thread. A photo of your Rumble can get you a membership!

MCF and Linnin like this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been use USA Eminence on my First gen Rumble 100/210 and 2nd gen Rumble 75/112.
    Both bass tone become tighter, focus,cleaner and louder with no signature tone. Bass tone are different than 3rd gen Rumble 200/115 which has sweet warmth Bassman like bass tone.

I believe upgrade to Rumble Stage 800 combo are far better than swap speaker.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender doesn't sell raw drivers, so you can't just buy a new one. If you took or shipped your Rumble to a Fender Authorized Repair Center then they would be able to install a new one. You may be able to find one used from a private seller that had upgraded their Rumble 500. Getting yours professionally reconed is always a good option as @chris_b has already pointed out. You need a 16 ohm speaker, and Eminence recommends their USA made Delta-10B DELTA-10B - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker They are a bit spendy at $90 USD. Fortunately you live in the UK with the world renowned speaker manufacturer, Celestion, but I don't see any 16 ohm drivers listed. Bass Guitar Speakers - 10 inch - Ferrite or Neodymium Should you decide to upgrade, you will need to replace both speakers so that you will have a matched pair.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    MCF likes this.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

This is simply not good advice as it completely ignores the fact that a driver has to work with the cabinets dimensions to make a viable speaker system. What he is suggesting is, in essence, a crapshoot. :(

8. You already have good advice with respect to driver replacement. what you might consider doing is thinking about why the driver is blown. It is possible that it was defective and more prone to overload than the in-spec stock drivers, but could it have been caused by excessive volume and/or bass boost? If you need more volume than what the combo can deliver, maybe it's time to add an external cab, like a Rumble 210 or 115. Alternatively, you could load the cab with a pair of more capable drivers. There is a lot that goes into the choice of a driver, and such an upgrade would likely require some modeling, and retuning the cab. With a little input from you people here can help. Also consider that those Rumble drivers and their cabs are designed for a particular tone. If you really like that tone, then you need to replace the blown driver with a stock driver.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  9. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I think the whole problem he's worried about is getting the wrong replacement speaker. Regardless of how "great" a replacement speaker can be, if it doesn't match the Thiele-Small stats of the original speaker, it's not going to sound good and you may just blow that one right away.

Depending upon the place that does it, you can often get a speaker re-coned for about half the price of buying the correct replacement speaker. The recommendation to contact Fender to find out what the right replacement speaker is and where you can find it in the UK is a real GOOD recommendation.

Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  10. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I agree with most of your comments here, but I doubt that changing the drivers is a viable option for the OP. Unless he's built a number of cabs before, there's not much chance such an ambitious change would work out well for him.

I think your suggestion to get an extension cab to avoid blowing speakers is an excellent suggestion though, as well as the caution about pushing up the bass boost. Speakers have the most difficult time reproducing those really low bass sounds and they will suck the power right out of the amp often causing the amp to go into clipping. One of the key things the OP needs to do though is to listen to what is coming out of his cab.

My apologies to the OP if this characterization is wrong, but many folks who are new to bass playing don't know what it sounds like when you are stressing your speakers, so they continue to play using the same settings and manner until the speaker blows. So, OP, if you ever hear your speakers making a farting sound, you are badly stressing your speakers and you need to do something about it immediately. If you wait until the song is done, you've probably at least creased the cones if not outright blown the speaker. In any case, it will have to be re-coned or replaced.

As soon as you hear that farting sound, you need to drop your Bass EQ to flat or at least a couple of notches below your current setting. The use of a high Bass EQ setting or a Bass Boost button when playing at high levels can push the speaker past its designed maximum extension (Xmax). If lowering the Bass EQ doesn't fix it, then you MUST drop the master volume on your amp NOW. Otherwise you are going to blow that speaker...again!

So get that speaker re-coned if it's less expensive than buying a new one, and if you buy a new one, make sure you are buying the correct Fender-recommended replacement.

Then get yourself an extension cab so you don't have to go through this mess all over again. A second 210 cab would be the easiest. It's usually questionable to mix cab types because you can get some cross frequency cancellation, but if you want to add a 115 cab, your best bet is usually to stay with the company that made the amp as those speaker cabs are usually (not always) designed to be used together.

A second 210 cab though is a no-brainer, bringing you up to a 410 configuration, and will certainly play loudly enough for most gigs without stressing your speakers.

**Note...I had to change the speaker cab recommendation as I thought the Rumble 500 was a 155 cab and it is a 210 cab. Sorry for any confusion for "early readers".

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  11. Howdy RossBE, and welcome to Talkbass,
    You've already received some great suggestions, so I'm going to offer a different, albeit somewhat unorthodox, approach for you to consider.

About 40 years ago I heard a farting noise from one of my MusicMan 15" speakers after playing at a particularly loud gig. When I looked at it, I noticed a small one inch tear in the speaker cone. Well, we put some super glue on it and waited a day, and I ended up using that same rig for the next 25 years with never a problem. Heck, it wouldn't cost much to give it a try.

Nuage420 and Brocephus like this.
  12. Not a good idea to just put any speaker in there. The speaker and the cab/port design all go together in a bass design (with guitars you can get away with a lot)

Reconing is often not a bad option. Otherwise, find the exact speaker and buy one the same, to avoid wasting money and disappointment.

13. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Fender should be able to hook you up. They are likely to have at least two old speakers laying around since they exchanged my combo when the amp went out in it. :roflmao:

PMing you my rep’s email address.

Brocephus and staurosjohn like this.
  14. I have had a look at one of these amps since posting. I see that it is a 2x10 cabinet and I didn't mean to say that a new speaker should be purchased without researching what is the correct impedance and a match for the existing speaker. If you can get a Fender speaker reconed for less than what a replacement speaker would cost than do it. My local Fender dealer doesn't do amp repair. It is sent out to another shop. In my case a replacement Eminence Neo 10 has cost me about $89 bucks, Maybe less if I shop around.That speaker has improved my GK combo, my Ampeg PB250 10 cab and an Eden 10 cab that I bought with a blown speaker.
    I am just trying to get the guy a working amp without spending big bucks and lots of shop time that takes his amp out of service for weeks or months.

15. Jen760

Jen760

Oct 14, 2019
    Hey y’all! This is an older thread but my Question is the same… I blew a speaker in my rumble 500 V3, called fender and they do not sell replacement speakers.. I clicked the link above for the Eminence Delta 10-B , Is this my best option for a replacement speaker? I see it is a 350W speaker.. Would I need to buy two of them so I have a matching pair? I’ve pulled the speaker out of the cab and it does not say how many watts it is, Just that it is 16ohm . Any help would be much appreciated!

16. SB300

SB300

Apr 4, 2015
    You may want to reach out to Eminence directly and tell them your situation. They will likely know exactly which of their speakers is in there and get you a good match. I would not think you need to replace both unless the other is having issues. Certainly you want to replace it with a 16ohm speaker to get the needed total 8 ohm load the amp is designed for.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021